How do I support my husband/caregiver?

stephaniacan
stephaniacan Member Posts: 21 Member
edited July 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

I am going in for a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy July 5. We got my diagnosis -- DCIS, IDC, stage 1a, HER2-, ER/PR+ -- June 6, and even though this is a relatively "good" diagnosis, the doctor visits and consultations have been overwhelming for me. So has the simple fact that I have cancer. At all. My husband has been a rock, but I worry for him. He has a ton of stress that is work related and has nothing to do with my health. However, assuming I have chemo, he will need to be the one taking me to treatments. Also to radiation treatments. (THis is necessary because I have arthritis and I use a walker and cannot get it into and out of a car by myself. I have tried the county rides for medical purposes and they never showed for my first ride!! I cannot have that.) Hubs does have Family Medical Leave at work, but he is a teacher, and I don't know how well that is going to fly for months of a few hours a day off. (We are trying to stretch it.) I am trying to take over all of the household chores I can, but in addition, I wondered if anyone had ideas for gifts or other ways of helping him or making him feel loved and appreciated. I have a little list of my own, but I am looking for any ideas. Thanks.