New diagnosis Metastatic invasive ductal carcinoma

Options
gizmocat123
gizmocat123 Member Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2023 in Breast Cancer #1

Still shocked! In one week I went from "Whats for dinner?" To cancer research! Diagnosis is metastatic invasive ductal carcinoma. They want to chemo me now to try and shrink this giant tumor! I asked for a cat scan first. Before I dive in to this I want to know if and where its spread beside 4 lymph nodes! The whole plan of action will change if it has spread!

I was really MAD when I realized this will now take up much of my free time and my life! One question is was anyone able to shrink a large tumor enough to get a lumpectomy instead of mastectomy?? Mine is 9cm and I think they only want me on chemo first to make the surgery easier! They "claimed" so maybe a lumpectomy but I don't believe that! I think its just too darn big for that to happen!? Its like pulling teeth to get straight answers from these doctors!

Comments

• catlady2
    catlady2 Member Posts: 50 Member
    Options

You have every right to be mad. None of us wanted or expected this turn of events in our lives. The doctors are so busy looking at the medical end of this they often forget to explain things to the patient! You seem to have a lot of questions and concerns. Perfectly normal. Ask about a Nurse Navigator to help you process and "navigate" everything you are about to go through. You need to have some sort of advocate to help you get through this. If you are not sure about what the plan is, ask for second opinion and definitely make sure your questions are answered. Now is the time to put yourself first.

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and hope that any upcoming procedures go smoothly. You may want to correspond with other members here who are also metastatic invasive ductal carcinoma. They may be of great comfort and support.

Wishing you peace and please keep us posted.

• gizmocat123
    gizmocat123 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Thank you! You are right! I'm not used to being "taken care of" I'm usually the caregiver! Lol

My doctors are really "sugar coating" everything to the point where I had to say please don't "bullsh*t" me! Right now they are putting me in stage IV - I personally pthink its more 3 because its only went to lymph nodes that we know of! Next week I get a ct scan. UNLESS! They know something I don't! And that would not surprise me one bit! I'm already sick of this I just can't imagine the rest of my life with it!!

• ljcarnes
    ljcarnes Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I too went from IDC to metastatic breast cancer to bone. When 1st diagnosed it as also in a lymph node so I went thru 4 chemo treatments. I kept having back pain along my bra line and the oncologist thought is was related to chemo. After my 4 chemo treatments I still had pain and my alkaline phosphate was elevated so a PET scan was ordered. Showed bone cancer in neck, thoracic, lumbar, pelvis and right thigh. So now on treatment for metastatic bone cancer.

Point of my story….ask provider for a PET scan. Will show cancer anywhere in your body

• Desiree18
    Desiree18 Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Hello @gizmocat123,

I totally understand how you are feeling. I too was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma last August. You are so right when you said one minute it's normal everyday life then BAM! I was living my best life, daughter was heading into 2nd year of college and I was living for ME finally. Well GOD had other plans lol. I started with chemo first as suggested as well. My tumor was 4cm and also spread to lymph nodes. I will tell you there is hope! Both tumors shrunk to a point that they could not detect on physical exam and during ultrasound the lymph node is smaller than what they consider a "normal" lymph node. Chemo wasn't bad at all; not like what I had conceived in my head. I just remained positive and kept my faith strong and it was over before I knew it. I chose to have a bilateral mastectomy. It's actually happening next week. I made that decision from the very beginning. I just don't want to leave to chance the possibility of it coming back or coming in on the other side. But that choice is yours and yours alone. I am in a separate chat with two ladies who had it done yesterday. I just heard from one of them and she is home and surgery was a success. Always happy to chat with you; discuss your fears, questions, victories. Feel free to hit me up any time! 😉

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Your feelings are genuine! But I had invasive ductal carcinoma also, triple negative. My tumor was not quite as large as yours but they started me on the most aggressive chemo right away. It did shrink the tumor enough for surgery after 7 treatments. I had a lumpectomy, then 19 rounds of radiation. It saved my life. I am cancer free. Please do not be afraid of the chemo. It will have side effects, and make you sick. They have medications to give you for that. This treatment saved my life. They should do a full body scan; my oncologist ordered that . demand one. You have a right. Prayers for complete recovery! Sunny