Hi I am new here

cottonl
cottonl Member Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi I am new here and trying to find my way around . Wondering if this board is still active .

Comments

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member

Yes, it is! I hope you are doing well.

• stephaniacan
    stephaniacan Member Posts: 21 Member

Hi, I'm new, too. I am stage 1A, HER2-, ER/PR+, which is about the best breast cancer diagnosis you can have, I guess. I'm getting a lumpectomy July 5 and even though my cancer isn't that bad, I feel scared. It's not just the surgery. Will the margins be clear? Will I have to get a second surgery? How easily will I recover, given that I am fat with a capital F and my boob squishes into my stomach if I bend down very much. Think trying to tie your shoes or pick anything up off the floor. My husband can help me with some things, but he works! And he is already under enough stress at his job for reasons unrelated to my health. I worry for him.

They haven't said anything yet to me about chemo, but from what I have been reading here it appears likely I will get it. I don't know anything about chemo. How long does it last? My doctor said the side effects of chemo are generally very mild. Hah. I don't believe her. I know modern chemo is supposed to be much better than the chemo my Mom had for her lung cancer back in 1993, but I'm still scared. And how will I tolerate rad? AAAAK! I'm trying to H.O.P.E. (Have Only Positive Expectations), but alone in the middle of the night I am freaking out. I'm glad to be able to share this somewhere. Thank you for starting this thread.❤️

• Sunny5

Hi! Everyone's experience with cancer is different. But we all have these fears. It sounds like they caught your cancer early, and that's a good thing! I had a lumpectomy also. I start radiation next week. As far as side effects my cancer was very rare and aggressive, so they started me on the strongest chemo before I had surgery. I had seven treatments altogether. I had some bad side effects, diarrhea, blistered hands, couldn't tolerate dairy until it was all over with. Mouth sores, which they gave me Magic Mouthwash, which helped tremendously. If you can get your dr. to get you a copy of The Breast Cancer Treatment Handbook by Judy C. Kneece, RN, OCN it will tell you all about breast cancer and it covers just about every question. Don't be afraid to ask your dr. if you have questions. And remember everyone's cancer experience is different. Don't listen to people who try to tell you what will happen to you as far as side effects, etc. or what you should or should not do, as they don't know. Just listen to your doctors. And follow all their instructions. I believe you are going to get well. I pray you don't have bad side effects and just know that this, too, shall pass. God bless! Sunny

• stephaniacan

Thanks so much -- your words really help! 🤗❤️

• cottonl

Hi Stephaniacan

I had stage 1 , grade 3 tumor. I had the lump removed and did 20 treatments of radiation. Taking letrozole for 5 years and have zoledronic infusions every 6 months. Next month will be one year for me since my surgery. I did not need chemo. I don't know your age but if you are over 50 there is a test the doctor can do called  Oncotype DX test. This test can determine if chemo is needed or not. My advice to you is do not compare yourself to anyone else as we all react differently to the treatments we are given. Try and stay positive and focus on the good. It is a scary and difficult time and the fear can play a lot of mind games so I understand . Just know that you are not alone . Wishing you all the best on your surgery and remember there are many more who have gone before you and are now living, happy and healthy lives. Hugs

• stephaniacan

You are reminding me I think they are doing that test. I wish it could have been done on biopsy tissue! What is zoledronic (sorry, I may have forgotten to name of the med you take every 6 months)? Is it chemo? Or is it a strong AI? And how has radiation been for you? I have visions of nausea, vomiting, hair loss, and fried, painful skin. I know this sounds silly, but these are some of my nasty little fears. I think some of my fears may be accelerating since surgery is tomorrow. Surgery means it is definitely real. I can't just keep thinking everything is the same as "normal." And normal will be different for quite a while.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate hearing about and from people who seem to be going to road ahead of me without dropping into sinkholes! Even though I am repeating my mantra, Have Only Positive Expectations, I am scared! Your words have brought comfort. Thank you!

• Sunny5

Radiation is not painful and the only side effects you might have is a little redness on your skin, unless you are super sensitive. There are creams your dr. can prescribe that my friends say helps a lot. It's chemo that causes the side effects you mentioned. Prayers going up for you!

• cottonl

Hi. the zoledronic acid infusion that I am taking by IV is to offset the possible thinning of bone caused by letrozole . It is a bone strengthener . Radiation does not hurt when getting it but depending on the strength it do cause some burns . I had burns and I blistered but I was treated for it with antibiotic cream and watched carefully by the radiation team .Also moistening the skin is very important so stock up on some glaxal base cream and put it on as soon as possible after receiving your treatment. I finished up my radiation on Christmas eve and I am still looking tanned. Your radiation doctor should tell you what to expect as it is different for each person based on what is beneficial . I know women who were worse than me and I know women who just had a bit of redness as sunny said in her reply. You are on your own journey and if you dont have to do chemo than that journey will be a lot easier than some of our pink sisters. Having an attitude of gratitude can make a whole lot of difference . I admire the women who have gone through so much more and still bring hope and support to others. You and I are very fortunate that ours was caught in the early stages so that is a huge gratitude for me. As for normal I think we find a new normal after having cancer as life as we knew is changed. Tomorrow when your tumor is removed , consider yourself cancer free and look at your treatments as something that is necessary to stay that way. I understand your fears, been there .Hugs and support sent your way...

• stephaniacan

Thank you! Today's the day! I'm feeling better, too. The support on this website has been wonderful!

• Sunny5

Good luck! Tomorrow is my first day of radiation. I'm anxious to get it over with, but don't dread it. 😉

• Sunny5

I have now had 2 treatments and it's not bad at all. Lying still is the worse part. LOL