Is “aggressive” definable?

Options
supeters29
supeters29 Member Posts: 6 Member

I have a uterine cancer by biopsy with a diagnosis of Moderately differentiated endometrial adenocarcinoma, mixed endometrioid, mucinous / secretory, and clear cell type. My first visit to a surgeon at MSK is this week. One of the cell types mentioned (clear-cell) is considered aggressive. What does that mean in reference to time- are we talking days ? Months ? I’m finding my mind going crazy imaging this aggressive cell doubling and tripling as I wait for my appt. And I’m quite scared about that.

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 970 Member
    Options

Welcome supeters29. You are in a very hard time right now. I had a very aggressive type cell, serous, too. And in the end I was early stage. Four years ago. The unknown is so scary. You have many cell types. Yes the clear cell is more aggressive, but it depends on the stage. Have you read about stage? Staging can only be done at hysterectomy. Sometimes doctors have guessed at stage but it cannot be determined until after surgery. The surgeon will remove and biopsy your uterus, some lymph nodes, probably your tubes and ovaries. And take a sample of peritoneal washings. Depending on how many cells they find, the stage will be determined. Try not to get ahead of yourself and think the worst. Early stage are the most frequent. You can read women's stories by clicking on their names. You can search for clear cell and read women's experience. And waiting a few days or weeks does not make that much difference. I waited 6 months before I had my surgery and was still early stage. Try and keep busy, and let us know how your doctor visit goes. There is lots of information here about preparing for your surgery too. Feel free to ask any questions.

• supeters29
    Options

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. It means a lot and is comforting. I am anxious for my visit this week at MSK with the surgeon and have my questions answered. Trying not to go down the rabbit hole right now. Every little body ache scares me when before I probably didn’t notice. I had such a complicated menstrual history- tubal issues, infertility, ovarian cysts, fibroids- that a few cramps never phased me, even 15 years post menopausal, so it wasn’t til the spotting about a month ago that set off an alarm and I sought medical attention. Initially the doc found a cervical benign polyp which he thought was the source, but sent me for an ultrasound and finally the biopsy. So I started beating myself up when I saw there were aggressive cells in the “mix” that I had ignored other symptoms of vague pains. So, again thank you for responding and caring about a stranger. 😘

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options

supesters29, being overwhelmed as you described is perfectly normal. It sounds like you have always listened to your body with your history and hope you are working with a gynecologic oncologist at this point of surgery prep. Please let us know what your "plan" of treatment is and how you are doing. Take a breath and know that you are not alone.

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 970 Member
    Options

You did have a lot of gynecological problems, but really the post menopausal bleeding is the one symptom that will prompt a biopsy, so you have not ignored that. And that is great. You have done what was needed. I stay and respond because I remember how scary this time was and want to help others navigate through this process. Sometimes it helps to have someone go with you to that first visit. It is a lot to take in and they will help you remember everything. And bring paper to take notes. Write your questions down if you haven't already. You will receive a lot of information. The offices are very organized about the process but I found I needed to write some things down. You are going to a very excellent clinic.

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Hi

We are glad you found us! I agree with my friends here! You’ve done the right thing…you are doing the right thing now…and it’s perfectly normal to feel terrified at this point, but not necessary! Don’t worry about what you’re not sure of yet, especially stage. We have all been there after we hear those words…”…cancer,” and know the fear and second guessing.

We’re here to help you through this process. Again, I agree with my friends, ask away! I’m not as far away from my cancer and treatment as the other ladies (just 15 months), but still there is much hope!

❤️, A

• supeters29
    Options

Thank you also for coming to my rescue. MSK has a team approach so I am confident I will be in good hands. I also have an amazing friend willing to sit thru what seems like an entire day with me as they may do the preop tests while I’m there that day also and schedule the surgery. I am so grateful to my family and friends and my new online friends here as well.

• supeters29
    Options

Thank you so much. I just found myself looking thru dates of what I have done so far after reading your note and realized that it’s only been a month and a half since the day I started spotting, and a lot has already happened. So I will surrender to that for now and focus on an excellent diet and getting things in order before my surgery. Thank you for caring!!!

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

You’re welcome!

We all remember what it’s like to be afraid and have questions during diagnosis and staging. This uterine board, and the generous ladies who post here, were a godsend for me. We’re very happy to return the kindnesses afforded to us once upon a time. Scouring the internet only yields just so much! Actually engaging in “conversations” with women who have experienced your situation, is invaluable.

❤️, A