Infections Caused By Cancer Tumor

vivgrl
vivgrl Member Posts: 34 Member
edited June 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with infections caused by a cancer tumor?

I'm Stage IV, diagnosed 2020. I had an abscess/bacterial infection in February which has recurred twice. I'm on antibiotics. Today I learned that there are now multiple abscesses in pockets that cannot be reached for testing which means that the bacteria can no longer be identified - so the antibiotics I'm taking may not be the right ones. So now the fear is not cancer (which currently appears to be under control), it's antibiotic resistance and sepsis which, I'm told, are realistic concerns.

I'm scared.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 715 Member

My 2 cents.

What anti- biotic are you taking? How long?

Anti- biotics kill the good gut flora with the bad. Lowers immune system.

Anti- biotic should be short term.

Some things to help along with the anti0biotic maybe: High dose vitamin C, aloe vera, Zinc, Oregano pills.

Watch what you eat as food with sugar and other toxins to the body can make infections worse.

Build your immune system to help your body fight it.

• vivgrl

Thanks SnapDragon2. I've been on antibiotics (pills) for months now with a little time off between infections - just a week or two. They make me sick but they're the only thing controlling the bacteria. I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics for almost a week in Feb and again in Mar. My blood work is good but maybe I can strengthen my immune system somehow on my own. My diet is clean but you've got me thinking ... stress. I changed oncs recently for serious, objective reasons. That's behind me now but it was very stressful. No more stress for me - I have to help bolster my body like you said.

Thanks again. Very helpful.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member

Hi, I've no experience in the area of infections related to CRC, outside of the antibiotics after each surgery. One thing you hit on was stress. As my late wife was fighting a 6 1/2 year battle with a glioma, one year into my colon cancer journey, I was battling a ton of stress. I ran my own contracting biz, and had to juggle a lot of things, work through my chemo, get her to her stuff, look after my younger son and granddaughter. The initial doctor prescribed me Xanax, after asking me if I wanted it. I'd never tried benzodiazipines, though in my youth I'd tried all sorts of things. It worked well for me, taking the peaks off the moments of anxiety that came regularly. Later I studied meditation, mindfulness, and Stoicism, and it all helped immensely, but I'ved kept the Xanax sub, using it sparingly, and throwing most of it out when it gets too old. It was quite useful to me, and in this world where few seem to want to praise a potentially risky 'mind drug', I feel compelled to mention my experience with it. The other mental disciplines came to matter more in the long run, living in the moment really saved me from a load of extra pain and anxiety, and getting the right benzo, and/or learning these mental disciplines could have a big effect on one's physicality as well. It certainly did for me..............................Dave

• npatel22526
    npatel22526 Member Posts: 42 Member

Hey, My dad had infection few months after his liver surgery. He had bacteria called "klebsiella" and was very bad one. But the strain wasn't complete resistance so he got through. reading about it, it seem that it would have been the surgery that may have caused it.

Two suggestions,

Turmeric have anti septic properties and comes with almost no side effects. i would just make sure that it isn't interfering with the antibiotics

Not to scare you off but keep the check on tumors around the infection, my dad had tumor hidden near/around the infection and were remain untreated for good months.

• vivgrl

Thank you so much beaumontdave for your thoughts. I've always wanted to learn meditation/mindfulness and you inspired me to sign up for a free Zoom group guided meditation at a mindfulness center for tomorrow night. I had to be admitted to the hospital again this week because of the infection and learned that the new abscesses can't be drained due to their location. I need more info from the dr but I think I could die from a ruptured abscess/sepsis at any time - 'live each day like it's your last' has a whole new meaning. Living in the moment is the only way to go.

• vivgrl

Hi npatel22526. I hope you are doing OK through this difficult time. My thoughts are with you.

Thanks for your suggestions. Nothing can scare me off at this point because each thing that happens is worse than the last. It's especially awful to get these abscesses because the cancer is actually holding steady right now.

Anyway, thank you. Have a good week.