Numbness after radical nephrectomy

jez
jez Member Posts: 2 *
edited June 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi - I had my left kidney removed 4 weeks ago where they discovered a 60mm growth.

I recovered from the operation very quickly with very little pain (just itchy stitches!) however 2 weeks in I found this numb feeling to my lower abdomen and to the left of my groin. There is no lump or pain to suggest a hernia and the doctor said this could be due to a build of fluids after the surgery? I am hoping it well go away of its own accord as I want to get back to work and the gym etc

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 244 Member

Surgeries require cutting nerves! I had another abdominal surgery years ago, and I still have numb areas from that. I only notice it if I have a surface itch and the scratching that I can't quite feel reminds me I've hit one of the numb areas.

• jez
    jez Member Posts: 2 *

Yes thanks for that.

Has anyone ever been told they had fluid build up in the groin following a radical nephectomy?

Also has anyone found the had a hernia following the operation?

I have no lump I can detect or real pain but there is still this dull soreness in my lower abdomen just below the wound site 4 weeks after the surgery. Feeling fine otherwise.