Kidney Cancer

Rexmax
Rexmax Member Posts: 55 Member
edited June 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi all , I’m not exactly new to this site I was here 2017-2019 however I was on the Lymphoma site as that is what I had NHL . I really found a lot of helpful and caring people. The reason I’m back again is I was diagnosed with Left Kidney Cancer about 2 months ago and had my entire Kidney removed 1 week ago still waiting on pathology results and will get that information tomorrow. Just wanted to pass on some information the Urologist told me. I was on R-CHOP Chemo for the Lymphoma and then on a 2 year maintenance of Rituxan. I was cleared NED at 5 years for my Lymphoma this past February and then found the kidney cancer 2 months later. Urologist told me 1 of the ingredients in my past treatment ( Cyclophosphamide) is known to cause this kidney cancer. Hopefully this information will help someone as I had no idea. Of course it wouldn’t have changed me having the R-CHOP as I believe we are all willing to try anything at the time . I’m hopeful some of you might have some info that might be helpful to me. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Prayers for all of us with this ugly disease. Have a great day all!

Comments

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 322 Member

Thank you for that information I hope your doing ok

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,069 Member

Sorry to hear about another cancer...

How big was the tumor on the scans? Has the pathology arrived?

• Rexmax

Hi, my tumor was 2.0x1.8x2.2cm on the scans. I had biopsy (May 10th 2022) pathology said low grade urothelial carcinoma. I had a ureter stent put in at that time. Received this pathology info on May 19th at which time Dr said I had 2 options first one was radical nephrectomy second choice was chemo into Kidney to try to basically kill tumor. Decided radical nephrectomy and complete ureter removed as I already had NHL back in 2017 and had all the chemo treatments and 2 yrs of maintenance Rituxan every 8 weeks and was NED in Feb of this year. Anyhow best decision I could have made on June 7th was surgery to remove complete left kidney and ureter tube as pathology results showed high grade papillary urothelial carcinoma invasive into focal lamina propria, which made this tumor a PT1. I will have bladder scoped every 3 months for the first year . Dr is very hopeful there will be no spreading out of this lamina layer . If it does we will get whatever needs to be done. I have a very good doctor and I have a lot of faith in him. Dr and I we’re very unprepared for the results of this tumor going from low grade to high grade in less than a month. I am doing really well at 2 weeks out from surgery and I have faith that everything will be okay. I don’t know what your situation is however wish you the best. Take care 🙏🙏🙏 for all with this ugly disease

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,069 Member

Thanks for the info! As I understand, urothelial carcinoma is a bladder cancer, right? Don't know much about bladder cancer, but I just googled, and it says that prognosis for this type is very good.

So I am sure you will do fine!

Thank you for the nice wishes. I am here for my husband, he had kidney cancer 7.5 years ago, when he was 36 (very young for that). It was Stage 1 low grade, and he is NED since then! I hope/believe it will stay like that for at least some 40 years :-)

Best of luck to you!

• Rexmax

Your welcome, the weird thing is this cancer I have was actually kidney and not bladder. I forgot to mention tumor was inside my kidney right in the center so a partial nephrectomy wasn’t an option and yes my prognosis is very good have a great day!

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 620 Member

Thanks for sharing and that is good news for your prognosis!