Cancer cells at the cut line after partial nephrectomy .

Mattrf
Mattrf Member Posts: 9 Member
edited August 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

I had bad back pain most low but also mid and upper back, spine doc said arthritis and recommended decompression surgery. After surgery the pain was worse so they did a second MRI but this time it caught the bottom of my right kidney and a mass. Few weeks later they do a partial nephrectomy but when they get the pathology report back they found cancer cells at the cut line. The cells are to small to show up on any test so I have to wait six months so they grow to see if they are in whats left of the kidney or have spread. I bounce back and fourth from depresion to being pissed that this has happened to me, I am 59 just starting to think about retiring and the wife and I bought a house in the mountains to do just that but now I am contently wondering if I will be around to retire? I have ready if it spreads beyond the kidneys to other organs that it is a death sentence, is this true? Right now I am hoping the worse case woudl be losing the rest of the right kidney and do not want to think about if it has metastasized and I am screwed.

Comments

• Mattrf

Also mine is clear cell grade 2 - 3.7 cm in size.

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 322 Member

I’m stage 3 grade 3 and when they did my partial there was cell but could only see them with microscope that was a little over two years ago try not to worry

• Mmoses25

• Mattrf

That does help was wondering if I woudl be around in two years, glad you are. So yours did not spread and no other surgery at least not yet?

Thanks.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 244 Member
    edited June 2022 #6

If they decide at some point to take out the rest of the kidney, you'd be fine. Lots of us have had total nephrectomies. But I imagine you'll just get scans every 6 months or so to see if there's any new growth.

Go ahead and enjoy your retirement!

• Mmoses25

Nope just go to my scans it was every three months now it’s every six months

• Mmoses25

I know it’s hard but try and have a positive attude enjoy joy life each day

• Mmoses25
  • Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 620 Member

Hi welcome. I just want to say thank you for sharing your story and your honesty in venting. Somehow it seems to be more unfair when you are remaining healthy taking care of your body. I don't have any great advice other than what Moses shared. Try to appreciate each day you have. I find laughter helps me a lot in dealing with this. All the best to you. Please keep us updated.

• Mattrf

Still have a month to go to get my CT scan to see if it has spread, my feeling is since they founs cancer cells at the cut line I am looking at mmore than likely getting the rest of my kidney removed and hope that is the worst case.

I did finally get my Harley out this past weekend, first time since surgery and did about three hours on it with the wife and another couple. Riding is my mental therapy so really needed it and enjoyed it. My back is still pretty bad and hurts all the time so I did pay a bit for the ride but was worth it. The back pain is concerning, the worst is at the belt line and I figure this is my arthritis but I also have aching still in my mid back and sometimes sharp pain that is concerning to me but not going to freak out about it until I get my CT scan and know for sure what is going on.

I have good days and bad days that I just can not seem to not think about cancer and if I have an expiration date looming, I just try to not think about it or at least talk about it.