Can't get a conclusive diagnosis

Deathorglory
Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
edited February 2023 in Pancreatic Cancer #1

Hello,

I've had esophageal cancer three times and have beaten it back successfully each time. But now I have a mass on the head of my pancreas that is suspicious for cancer, but it can't be definitively stated what it is. I've had a CT scan, a PET scan, an MRI (my second MRI is later this morning) and THREE endoscopic ultrasounds with biopsies. Every test is "suspicious" or "concerning" for cancer, but they can't tell conclusively what it is.

I have a history of chronic pancreatitis dating to when I was in diapers. Probably about 100 instances of pancreatitis overall. That has left my pancreas a calcified blob of crap that they can't read accurately. Has anyone had similar difficulty getting a firm diagnosis? The not knowing is horrible, this has been going on for several months now and my wife is teetering on having a mental breakdown that I simply am not strong enough to deal with. I have no idea what to do. There doesn't seem to be anything for me to do except just keep going along with the testing that isn't producing results.

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member

So I did finally get diagnosed two weeks ago. It was the 5th set of biopsies and they did that one as a CT scan guided needle biopsy. I started treatment (Abraxane & Gemzar) last week.

• WesternBayFisher
    WesternBayFisher Member Posts: 2 *

That’s good news. It makes a difference having a plan. Uncertainty can only increase fear. Good luck with the Gemcitabine :)

Thanks too for your comments regarding reflux and ant-acids on the oesophageal cancer chat board. It’s nice to be informed with input from other survivors using these meds and understanding how they may work better before discussing them with the medical team.