Post chemo port insertion

Options
LightningMcQueen
LightningMcQueen Member Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello, I'm new to this world of breast cancer.

I was diagnosed with cancer in my left breast and left lymph node on March 31, 2022. I am also a lightning strike survivor. My anniversary of survival will be 5 years in July. I have multiple lasting side effects which have made the journey for recovery quite challenging.

I have been trying to fight the cancer naturally, but have also opted to follow on oncologists suggestions of chemo, surgery, radiation, and immune therapy. Most of the possible side effects of the chemo and radiation I already deal with on a daily basis and have found vitamins and supplements to help ease some of the symptoms. Pain level is usually a 4/5 daily, but increases with exertion. I only take OTC pain med when pain gets too much as needed.

I just had the chemo port inserted this past Thursday (6/9/22). The surgery went very well without any complications. I wasn't prepared for the pain I would have after the anesthetic wore off. It feels like I'm being punched in the throat every time I cough and pain increases as I attempt to do things around the house. I spoke with nurse today she said each person is different but to give it up to two weeks to allow my body to adjust.

I'm wondering how long it takes to get used to? I understand that my circumstance is quite unordinary, but is the lasting pain normal with the chemo port? Please advise. Thank you.

"Lightning McQueen"😉

Comments

• aleli42
    aleli42 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hello I had the same as well as lupus so for me the pain was the whole time I had the port.. I recently had my surgery and healing is taking longer then normal as I have lupus.. the spot where rhe port was still hurts

• KT_Skater
    KT_Skater Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I had mine put in on the 9th of this month too. My Oncologist said it was unusually high up on my collarbone area. It’s in the cross-section of muscles in that area. It hurt to laugh, chew food, and do much of anything for the first week. This past week the pain has lessened and I’m getting used to it. I did have a friend who told me that he had his in the same place and said that the muscles and tissue will grow around the plastic edges and it will start to feel better in a month. I went rollerskating for the first time since the surgery last night and it did hurt and got swollen. I iced it and took Aleve when I got home last night and this morning it’s much better. I would say, if it’s not red and swollen and looking angry (maybe infected) to give it time. I was quite panicked the first week but now it’s getting better.

Did they give you any exercises to do?

My surgeon told me to put a belt or rope over the top of a door and to slowly pull from side to side lifting my arm a little bit at a time to build up the flexibility and that really helped too. Good luck. I wish we could go through this with no pain!

• LightningMcQueen
    LightningMcQueen Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Doctors haven't really given me exact exercise because I have weakened muscles from the lightning strike. One doctor suggested walking as I can endure at least twice a week - more would be better. They've learned that exercising (cardiovascular, aerobic, and resistance) 2-3 days a week can produce longevity and reduce rates of cancer by 20%.

It took me at least two weeks to the pain not being so bad from the port. I've learned that if I try to do too much my collar bone area swells and it hurts more. I guess I'm having to relearn limitations again.