myxopapillary ependymoma treatment options

Options
mmathur
mmathur Member Posts: 1 *
edited June 2022 in Rare and Other Cancers #1

Dear All,

My 50 year old younger sister lives in a rural michigan township and is the sole caregiver for my elderly parents. Recently she was diagnosed with this rare tumor - she had been having pain, numbness and tingling from lower back all the way down to her ankle for the past month. I live in los angeles and was wondering if anyone can recommend a neurosurgeon who has treated these kinds of tumors. Her PCP suggested she goes to a major hospital for treatment.

The MRI states: 'There is an altered signal intensity lesion at the tip of the conus medullaris posterior to L1 vertebral body extending up to superior endplate of L2 vertebral body. This is measuring 12.5 x 22 mm in anteroposterior and craniocaudal dimension with somewhat cystic component at the upper portion of this lesion. The lesion appears to be intramedullary location with a claw sign at the superior margin. There is anterior displacement of the tip of the conus medullaris and cauda equina at the site of this lesion. On post intravenous contrast examination there is nodular enhancement and cystic component. Given the appearance and its location primary consideration is that of myxopapillary ependymoma. '

Any advise, on prognosis, treatments would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!