Nervous about a "new" liver cyst

misterace
misterace Member Posts: 37 Member
edited June 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

Hi All,

Quick recap on me: I'm 35, diagnosed at 33. Partial neph, stage 1b (4.5cm), Clear cell. Grade 3.

I had to go to the ER for another reason and they did an abdominal CT. It noticed that I had a 4mm "hypodensity" on my liver ("Too small to characterize, likely reflect a small cyst")

My 1.5+ year scans in February were NED.

Out of an abundance of caution, I asked for a re-read of my initial abdominal CT from 6/2020 when I was diagnosed to look for a liver cyst... and they said nothing was visualized.

I asked my uro-onc and he said it's nothing to worry about, it's so small that it could have easily been missed. But I'm still worried :(

Next step is to have all 6 of my abdominal MRIs looked at to make sure it's always been there, and its potential progression, but I'm still scared. I worry that if something new has popped up, it may be a met.

Any comforting words would be appreciated.

Comments

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 244 Member

I've got all kinds of things that get mentioned on scans that weren't in he initial radiology report from when my cancer was found four years ago. I've got lung nodules, a chubby adrenal gland, various liver fatty blobs, spleen mini-mes. Apparently some have been there for most of my life and others appeared over time. I see an oncologist because I've had other cancers, and she said that is the appearance over time that counts, and that it's normal to have some things that show up. I just had my chest-abdomen-pelvis CT last week, and the things they noted were compared to last year and 2019 scans to check the size. Nothing has grown, so even he odd little extra bits are nothing worrisome. I trust my doctors to tell me if I need to worry.

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 322 Member

I’ve had scans were they seen stuff in my chest I’m stage 3 turn out to be nothing I wouldn’t worry over it if the doctor not concern I wouldn’t be

• Lynn_65
    Lynn_65 Member Posts: 64 Member

I had a hypodense cyst, 1.4 cm, found on my liver on a ct scan last year that was not noted on my previous scans. Doctor scheduled a MRI and cyst was found “not to be suspicious”. We continue to monitor with ct scan every 6 months. Bloodwork remains good. Try not to worry.

Allochka said:

SOOOO happy for you! :-)

SOOOO happy for you! :-)

Word "hypodense" is usually used for simple cysts, which are not suspicious at all :-)

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 322 Member

so happy for you

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 620 Member

Hi misterace hope this continues to be something that the doctors are not worried about. It's good you are being checked regularly so that it can be caught while still small. Good vibes and prayers sent to you.

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,045 Member

The more CT's, tests, etc., the more you'll find out is "normal" for your body. I've just passed 16 years since my first surgery, and I have cysts in my pancreas, cysts in the part of the liver that remains (L lobe removed with kidney mets), and cysts in the remaining kidney.

It's time to worry a bit if the Dr. who reads the scan says you have an organ that you knew was removed....like the appendix that was taken out in 1987 during the hysteretomy.

Just keep on going for tests and maybe, some day, the doc will say you don't need to return.

donna_lee

• misterace
    misterace Member Posts: 37 Member

Thank you all for your responses.

I was able to see my uro-onc and he said he was not worried about it.

I also had my prior scans reviewed and it seems like it's been there at least for the last 15 months, and had remained the same, so that's good news.

Next scans are in September, gonna just put this out of my mind until then and try to enjoy my life :)

• Lynn_65
    Lynn_65 Member Posts: 64 Member