Brachytherapy

Quiltergal
Quiltergal Member Posts: 29 Member
edited August 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

I am scheduled to see the dr. Friday to start brachytherapy. I am nervous. I hope it isn’t too painful. I. Do they give you something for pain?

Comments

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    edited June 2022 #2

I had no pain at all with brachytherapy. Near the end of the series I developed cystitis from the radiation, which felt like a UTI, and it subsided a week or two later. I also developed bowel changes (sudden urgency first thing in the morning, and diarrhea), which took many many months to subside but did eventually.

Good luck with brachy, Quiltergal. It'll be good to have it over and done.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited June 2022 #3

Hi, Quiltergal!

When I had my surgery 10 years ago I had brachytherapy after. No pain. They wanted me to drink ... I don't remember how much, but if your bladder is reasonably (not uncomfortably) full it helps mitigate any radiation effects. I also took probiotics (with permission) starting a few days before it started, which presumably helped avoid gastrointestinal effects. I had no aftereffects.

Good luck!

• icart56
    icart56 Member Posts: 5 Member

It is a little awkward but not painful. They should put in some numbing gel first and then the applicator,

• lkitty
    lkitty Member Posts: 36 Member

I wish you the best. I am scheduled for a radiology consult next week and I can relate to your anxiety. We can do this!

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

Quiltergal,

How was your brachytherapy? How are you doing?

Kathy

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,477 Member

Brachy treatment should follow with dilators to help prevent stenosis. You don't have to worry about that until you finish treatment, and they should give it/those to you. (at least I was fortunate enough to have had them given to me) If they don't - be sure to ask.

Take a breathe, it is all overwhelming, but we are all here for you.

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 206 Member

I took 1/4-1/2 xanax before each of my treatments. The 1st one was the longest as it was the fitting session. They used the numbing gel others have mentioned. It was not painful. The first session was the worst if I could characterize it that way as it was mostly fear of the unknown and anticipation. A bit of discomfort but I did some deep breathing and meditation as best I could to stay relaxed and calm. I also had to drink a lot of water before to have a full bladder but it was timed to how long it took us to drive to the facility and my appointment time. Everyone from the nurse to the radiation oncologist was super nice. Although I took AZO afterwards, I did get a UTI which resolved itself after first round of meds and never returned. So far (a year later) no short-or-long term side effects related to this that I am aware of. I did see a pelvic floor physical therapist for about 10 sessions about 3 months after I finished radiation. This was something I personally advocated for from my research and my gynecologist oncologist sent referral and insurance covered. She helped me with dilator (silicone vs plastic which radiation gave me) , pelvic floor exercises that I continue to do, recommended a squatty potty, etc. Wishing you well and hopefully you will have less anxiety after first treatment.