Lyrica after lobectomy

sultana
sultana Member Posts: 12 Member
edited June 2022 in Lung Cancer #1

I am 8 weeks post surgery for RUL Trying to wean off of Lyrica by taking it only at bedtime but it seems to put me in La la land and all I want to do during the day is sleep. How long does anyone stay on Lyrica for nerve pain? I’m thinking I’d rather deal with nerve pain rather than exhaustion.

thank you, Miss Sultana

Comments

• SoCalT
    SoCalT Member Posts: 13 Member

Hi, I am 8 weeks and 3 days past RUL.

I do not take Lyrica, I take a similar med. Gabapentin.

Just stop taking it.... I stopped the opioids day 4 after being home.

Gabapentin was recommended by another forum. 8 weeks post surgery you should be going from pain, to burning and now a discomfort and a low pain level.

I do take Tylenol and Gabapentin daily. But Gabapentin does not put me to sleep.

Maybe get a prescription of Gabapentin. See what you think.

I wish us luck

• sultana

I too stopped opioids after a few days. The pain is lessened to a burning sensation but I still get a sharp “Pins and needles” feeling in the center of the chest once or twice a day. Numbness near chest tube sites has also lessened. I’ll stick with only Tylenol going forward. Thanks for your input and best of luck

• DenverDonna
    DenverDonna Member Posts: 3 Member

I am very interested in both your comments as I am 2 weeks post VATS surgery on my right lower lobe. Off of pain meds, except Tylenol but experience soreness in the back (especially when lying down) and numbness in front of torso.

My question: did you experience frequent episodes of cough with shortness of breath following the surgery? I am checking pulse oxy and doing breathing exercises, all good, but this is my main worry.

Thanks

• SoCalT
    SoCalT Member Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2022 #5

Hello,

Here is a very good article from John Hopkins University.

Now for me, I had minimal coughing or sneezing. When I did it hurt like hell.

I was told to hold a pillow on my chest to minimize the pain.

Now I'm about 8 1/2 weeks post surgery and my left chest area feels like it's tied in knots.

I've been stretching my left arm to my left and up in the air to try and loosen my chest area.

On the John Hopkins article focus on after care and recovery. It says the patient should be having breathing and physical therapy to loosen up the chest area. I didn't have that offered and I did look into it and basically everyone said you're on your own.

From what I've read the shortness of breath is something you may feel. I did not experience shortness of breath.

But prior to my surgery my pulmonary function test had my lung capacity at about 64%.

Any concerns should be directed to your cancer team.

I wish you the best of luck as well as quick healing.

• sultana

I had full thoracic incision (not vats). After about 5 weeks I was able to lay on back. I also experience numbness in torso. Lidocaine patches seem to help a bit. I developed a cough with a low grade fever Six weeks after surgery. Went to urgent care (My primary doctor recently passed away) and was treated with an antibiotic and cough med for what she diagnosed as pneumonia. That scared the hell out of me. Still have a slight cough. I see my cancer dr at the end of July for a ct scan and will see a new primary in July also. We all heal differently. Be patient. I still get pins and needle pokes in the center of chest. I’m anticipating that to fade away soon.

• DenverDonna

Hi Sultana, I have read that the full thoracic incision is so challenging, am glad that the lidocaine patches are helping you some , and I hope that you can pamper yourself in some way each day as you deal with all this. I should have a tattoo saying "be patient", the hardest thing. Yes also to the the pins and needles sensation, it is like a stinging but feels like it is more at the surface just below the skin. Weird!. Hang in today, and hope you have an easy, minimum pain day☺️

• sultana

Thank you, Donna. Had a good day without any meds. Numbness is slowly diminishing. Hope you are doing well also.

Miss Sultana

• DenverDonna

Hello Miss Sultana and SoCalT,

Checking in, hoping this was an additional week of healing, getting stronger, less pain for you both! I still have the "pins and needles" front of torso, one spot and sometimes a sharp pain in right side but less and less, stops quickly. Got the sign off this week from surgical team, have initial oncology appt. near the end of the month. Swam some, mostly to loosen up tight muscles. Going to try to mow the lawn soon, get back to normal around here. Hope you both are feeling hopeful and stronger, day by day. Best to you🙃

• sultana

Hello Donna: I’m glad to hear how quickly you are healing. I am 10 weeks post surgery and feeling better with each day. Still some pins and needles in center of chest, but passes quickly. I have some soreness in right chest area, but not needing any meds. I can not sleep on right side as it feels like I am crushing my chest. Still praying for all to be normal again. Thanks for checking in! Have a blessed weekend

Miss Sultana