Recovery time for trans perineal biopsy..

Options
dale1k
dale1k Member Posts: 23 Member
edited June 2022 in Prostate Cancer #1

Hello guys.. I’m new to this site and after a couple PSA tests (including a 4K PSA) and a MRI, my urologist set me up for the subject procedure… I assume many of you have been thru this procedure and am curious how soon you get back to “normal”.. I ride my bike pretty much everyday as long as the weather permits… Despite having some other medical conditions, I feel really good.. Just throwing it out there…any comments would be welcome… Thanks..

Comments

• J69
    J69 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Hi dale, the biopsy procedure is quite the experience. The doc uses lidocaine to numb the area while you are on the table. I took a Valium 30 minutes before and the procedure was uneventful. You do feel each time a sample is taken, but not much. I found that for a little over a week, the area was a little irritated and sore. However, I was able to do everything I did before. I didn’t ride a bike, but would think that would cause more irritation. Take it easy for a few days and if sitting becomes a problem a seat donut might help. I have had two biopsies and from both I recovered quickly.

• dale1k
    Options

Hello... Thanks so much for the reply.. My understanding is that they will use anesthesia so I shouldn't feel anything. It's the recovery afterwards that I am concerned about... Exercising, especially bike riding, has kept me going thru a lot of medical issues... It's too bad that currently this is a necessary step to determine if you have cancer that needs to be treated.. Even then, I have read enough to know that biopsy's can report false negatives and positives.. It doesn't exactly give you a feeling of confidence.. In my case the MRI indicated a PI Rad 4 lesion.. So according to my urologist, the biopsy needs to be done... Hoping I don't have to add prostate cancer that requires treatment to the current medical conditions I am already dealing with.. Thanks again for your input...

• J69
    Options

Dale, I am glad your doc is doing the biopsy. Biopsies are pretty accurate. They determine your Gleason score. Some send their results for a second opinion, which sometimes can result in an upgrade or downgrade. However, with a Pi Rad 4 lesion, you should prepare for biopsy result of cancer detected. Hopefully it will be a lower Gleason score and that you have caught it early. If it does come back cancer there are many treatments available to add many more years to ride your bike. As far as bike riding and exercise, you will know when the time is right to continue. Exercise is a key to keep your body in shape should a treatment be necessary.

• dale1k
    Options

Yes, I am well aware that there is a high likelihood that cancer will be found… I am just hoping it is not aggressive so we can do more of a wait and see instead of my being forced to make a radical treatment decision… So have you been thru the entire process???

• J69
    edited June 2022 #6
    Options

Dale, I had several urologists that said watch and wait, even after one found a GL 7. I trusted them as I was not up on prostate cancer. They both said it was slow growing. My third urologist was taken back that nothing had been done. His biopsy came back a Gl 8, 4+4, which put me in the high risk for cancer spreading. I had a TURP operation for urinary issues to trim the prostate several years earlier. Unfortunately that made my choices for the best treatment which is radioactive seeds planted and hormone treatment not an option. I went with external beam radiation and ADT, hormone treatment. It has lowered my PSA and testosterone levels for now. I have had two biopsies, MRI, PET scan and bone density scan. It wasn’t until I joined the prostate cancer Healingwell forum before I got all the answers I needed to proceed with treatment. They have many veterans there that have a great amount of knowledge on what to expect. Good luck going forward and I am hoping you get good results on the upcoming procedure.

• pbmorris
    pbmorris Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Dale, I had 3 MRIs and 2 biopsies before they finally found the cancer. I had progressively higher PSA results but they couldn't find it until the last Biopsy. The biopsy itself is uncomfortable but not really painful. I would suggest not riding a bike for several days to a week as I was a little sore for a day or two. I chose the surgery route, and it was the most painless surgery I have ever had (8 total). Chose surgery (robotic) as most of the other treatements (seed, cyberknife, beam radiation) require MRI guidance which never did locate my cancer. Recovered quickly and now on surveillance.

• dale1k
    Options

Thanks for your comment which is much appreciated.. I hope my biopsy is accurate the first time.. I am getting a targeted biopsy based on the lesion found on the MRI.. I'm sure I will have to make a decision regarding treatment eventually... I'm just hoping I don't have to right away.. There seems to be a debate regarding surgery vs radiation and hormone treatments.. I think it comes down to your specific situation and the skill level of the surgeon/radiologist, pathologist , etc.. I'm glad your surgery worked out for you and thanks again for your input...

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 381 Member
    Options

The definitive tool for diagnosing PC is a biopsy. I had a fusion biopsy. They used the MRI to do the biopsy to ensure areas of concern were sampled. They still took the same amount of tissue from the prostate. I too took a Valium prior to the biopsy. Mine came back Gleason 4+3=7. My prostate was removed in 2018. Currently, my PSA is <.04; I am continent; I am intimate with my wife of 51 years (if I can catch her, she is awfully fast). Good luck on your journey.

• dale1k
    Options

Thanks for the input and that's the kind of outcome I think everyone is looking for... Continence, ability for intimacy, and most importantly... to be cancer free... Congrats... It's good to hear a success story..

• dale1k
    Options

Biopsy Results:

So, the vast majority of cores taken (total of 24) were designated as 3+3... There were a couple of cores designated 4 +3 ... I asked what my gleason score was and he said if he HAD to assign a number it would be the 4+3... I guess being conservative ?? I will be seeing him to discuss treatment options... I knew based on the Pi Rad score they would find something.. He mentioned everything from active surveillance with PSA, MRI, and genomic testing to radiation and RP... I have no clue yet what I am going to do... I guess this is the hard part..