Fantom Pain

Willbern
Willbern Member Posts: 8 Member
edited May 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

I had a complete removal of my left kidney, done robotic in February of this year. About 2 months ago I started having pain on my left side where my kidney was. Is any one else had or is having this fantom pain too?

Comments

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

It's hard to say for sure, but I definitely had similar on-and-off phantom pains/aches on my left side a few months after my surgery. Nerve endings firing up and such. In my case they went away.

If they continue don't be afraid to reach out to your doctor.

• tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member

I had it bad about a year post op...hard to explain the pain but it lasted for a week and was very uncomfortable. Went to my doctor (out of fear that it was something bad that was just radiating to that spot). He told me it is internal scar tissue and that it can happen at any time and may never happen again or I may deal with it my whole like. I guess scar tissue adheres to your insides and can hurt when stretched. It hasn't happened again.

• Willbern
  • Willbern

I did talk to my PCP and she told me that this is something normal and that it will probably go away or I may have this until.... I am not one for this and I was really scare before I spoke to her about it.. Take Care

• tgpath1
    tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member

Me too! I did what I should not do and I googled it. I was terrified...but it taught me that you really can't trust google for medical stuff!

• Willbern

Thanks and yes nerve ending firing up. Not a good feeling I sit most of my day at work and me fighting this has sometimes wear me out. Feel like I'm fighting and it's kicking my butt. LOL

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member

Oh absolutely - it definitely kicks your butt! LOL.

But your body's gone through quite the experience - it's not gonna snap back to the way it was overnight. It'll take a few months. Drink plenty of water, go for plenty of walks, and get plenty of sleep. I know, I know - easier said than done. But we'll get there!

• Willbern

Thanks for the suggestions and I was just talking to my granddaughters that I need to start walking in the evening after work. And I'm not so much a fan of water but I do drink some during my day.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member

One thing my surgeon mentioned is that the surgical team has to shove everything (intestines +) out of the way with instruments to access the kidney, then replace it all. That causes a lot of deep internal bruising that can take months to heal, plus the scar tissue forming adds to zaps and twinges and all kinds of internal sensations in that area.

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 614 Member

Hi I also had pain after my kidney was removed. What Alice said about other organs being bruised makes a lot of sense to me. Glad you reached out to your doctor and here. It seems to be a common experience. All the best keep us updated please!

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member

I also had weird and scary pains for at least a year afterwards. Mine was an open partial, so they had to cut through layers and layers (I'm a kinda big gal) so all those mucsles, nerves, etc had to heal. But it was terrifying every time it happened. Follow Eug's advice: water, walk, rest. More than a little water. I only have a partial kidney and my neprologist wants me to drink at least 2 liters a day. It's difficult, but I can tell when I have not had enough. Helps with recovery, helps your body stay tip top, and avoids kidney stones. I never want to get one of those again! Take care ~