PMBCL

Options
kokkee
kokkee Member Posts: 11 Member

Hi. I am new here. I was diagnosed with primary mediastinal b-cell lymphoma. My hematologist recommended that I take the DA-EPOCH treatment. I have just completed my first cycle. My second begins in 2 weeks' time. So far things seem to be going well. My blood tests show that my hemoglobin is up compared to the day of discharge. White blood cells and platelets are down but within the acceptable range. I will have another test in 4 days' time before I start my second cycle. If all goes well, my doctor will up my chemo dosage by 20%. If this helps anyone in a similar situation, I am glad. Or, if anyone has some tips/advice, I would really appreciate it. Blessings to us all.

Comments

• Evarista
    Evarista Member Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Hi Kokkee and welcome to the club that you never wanted to join. It sounds as though things are going really well for you so far. Congratulations on that. Although getting dosed up may feel a bit like getting punished for good behavior, I hope that you can see that as a win in that your body must be handling the chemo well. From what I've read, PMBCL has an excellent prognosis and you have every reason to expect a good outcome. In the meantime, my tip is try to stay as active as you can. Please do come back if you have specific issues or questions. Best of luck going forward

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,467 Member
    Options

Welcome! Sorry to hear this, but glad to hear of your willingness to help others! Are you being seen at a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center? I ask because they are the best of the best. If not, and a consult is not possible, is your hematologist consulting with such a center? It can make all the difference.

• kokkee
    Options

Hi. Thank you for welcoming me here. I am not in the US. Though I lived there for 7 years as a grad student. I found ACS as I was looking for answers for my condition and treatment options. I hope that does not disqualify me from joining the network.

Day 11, six days after my 1st cycle, I caught a fever and found that my WCC fell down to almost zero.

I am back at the hospital, fighting the fever among other things. If my WCC rises to an acceptable level I can be discharged and get ready for the second cycle. My hematologist is trained in Ireland and I doubt she has any connection with NCI.

• po18guy
    Options

OK. Where you are located is not immediately apparent, so pardon my intrusion! PMBCL is common enough that I would imagine hematologists in the UK have considerable experience with it. Although DA-EPOCH is well suited for many aggressive B-Cell Lymphomas, I do wonder if Rituximab/CHOP (R-CHOP) might also be a consideration? Tumours tend to melt away like ice cubes when Rituximab is applied - the caveat being that some have allergic reactions to Rituximab.

• kokkee
    Options

I am in Malaysia. My hematologist offered me two options. R-CHOP and DA-EPOCH-R. She recommended the latter. We weighed the pros cons and decided on the latter. My wife and I concurred with the decision.

• kokkee
    Options

• Evarista
    edited May 2022 #8
    Options

Sorry to hear that things have taken a bit of a downward turn. I, too, had white counts fall to below 0 on my first 3 rounds. Fortunately no neutropenic fever but I was absolutely obsessively neurotic about food and personal hygiene and maybe that helped. Also, it is standard practice in the US and I believe the UK to give a shot of a white cell boosting compound (Neulasta) within 72 hours of finishing a round of chemo. That usually brings the white count back up substantially. Did you have that? Perhaps the protocol there is to administer only on an as-needed basis rather than give to everyone? Hope that things get better for you and that you are able to go forward with your next round as scheduled

Apropos R-CHOP vs. R-EPOCH: I currently have a family member being treated for PMBCL. While there is continued discussion in the literature, DA-R-EPOCH still seems be the treatment of choice unless there are other medical issues. At least where she is; other facilities may have different protocols/criteria. Hang in there.

• po18guy
    Options

OK, it makes sense now. Those are the two "gold standard" treatment for aggressive B-Cell lymphomas. The dose adjustment regimen seems appropriate as everyone reacts differently to the treatment. This is one case where one of more of the drugs "may" need to be lowered or stopped for a time so that your response to the therapy may be closely monitored.

• kokkee
    Options

Thank you for coming back to me. I'm now on the third day back in the hospital. Fever coming on and off... Just borderline. Havent gone up above 39C degrees. The day I was discharged (from the first cycle) I was given six immunity booster shots to be takeb daily. Today I was given the 7th booster shot. I do not know the name of the booster. But I'm feeling slightly better today. I was low in magnesium. Given through IV. Im also on daily antibiotics given through IV/chemo port.

• kokkee
    Options

Thank you. My doctor is probably lowering my dosage for the next cycle. Im feeling slightly better today.

• po18guy
    Options

Treatment is like hiking across the country - hills and valleys. Yet, we are resilient creatures and we bounce back. That does not change the fact that the valleys do not feel good at all. There are so many distractions along the way, but always keep the goal - and the enemy - in mind. It took me seven regimens and fifteen drugs (four of them twice) to get me into my third remission with the first of three cancers. So, if I can do it, you can easily triumph over this.

• kokkee
    Options

Thank you for the encouragement. It really helps. It was so disappointed that my WCC is still very low. From 0.3 to 2.y magnesium was low as well. They gave to me through IV. Now I eat a bit better. Hoping the blood test next morning. I am shamed by the courage and tenacity of you true survivors

• Evarista
    Options

While I can certainly understand where the sentiment comes from, I hope that you can remove any feeling of "shame" from your mind. We all did (or are doing) the best that we could under our particular circumstances. While I was fortunate not to have a fever, that does not mean that I did not struggle at the time. Glad that you are getting the white blood cell booster (Neulasta is only one of many brands) and hopefully that will get your counts back up. The 7-injection protocol may actually be more easily tolerated than the single shot approach. Be well.

• po18guy
    Options

We fight because we have been given the gift of life. The gift is worth protecting, and life is worth living. We do this for ourselves, certainly, but we do this for those who love us and would miss us if we were gone.

• kokkee
    Options

Thank you. I will try not to be ashamed, but rather to be encouraged by the examples of the many who went through similar, or even worse, struggles and did not give up and fight on to live. Today, I received great news. My white recovery was sufficient enough to be discharged. Bloodwork (blood culture) showed no infection. It good to be home.

• kokkee
    Options

You are absolutely right. This is a most precious gift. I will remember that when I feel the lowest. And tell myself to fight on with every fibre of my being. To never ever give up. I do not want to end up like the next guy on the bed. He came in too late, stage 4, and there was nothing else the doctors could do except to ease his pain and suffering. I thought he was much older than me. He looked it, but in speaking with his son, he was actually younger. There was nothing I could do but comfort him. His relatives came from out of state, probably to see him for the last time. It was painful seeing their faces.

• bonniehuotbaker
    bonniehuotbaker Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I took DA- Epoch for my lymphoma, it was tough but I made it. It’s been 12 years ago.m

• kokkee
    Options

Thank you. That is a very encouraging piece of news. I believe I will make it too. My appetite is back. And I am eating like there is no tomorrow <hehe>. But now I am beginning to lose my hair.

• bonniehuotbaker
    bonniehuotbaker Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I lost my hair, my toenails and was really sick, but I made it. I had a wonderful doctor and she took good care of me. I was cancer free for many years now I have been diagnosed with follicular lymphoma. My first diagnosis was diffuse large cell B, it was aggressive and follicular is slow growing. I am on wait and watch so am not taking treatment right now and doing ok.

• kokkee
    Options

I am sorry to hear that you are diagnosed with cancer again. But such is life, isn't it? Once in a while, it throws us a curve ball. Yeah, if it is slow-growing I too would wait and see. My thoughts and prayers are with you.