1st chemo treatment, allergic reaction

Options
Loo2590
Loo2590 Member Posts: 20 Member
edited May 2022 in Ovarian Cancer #1

BeagleKitty

Today • 8:13 AM

(HGSOC) post debunking. First of 6 treatments.

Started 1st Chemo Taxol. Nurse said she would start it for 15min at level one. If no problems 15 mins at level 2 and so on every 15 mins. Level 1 was fine. Level 2 started at first it was fine the at six minute mark the right side of my face started having pressure. Then mild stabbing in my back. I told husband to get the nurse. By the time they reached me I had severe stabbing in my back like someone was putting knives in me. Stomach pain and rash. My knuckle were beat red spot down my arms and legs. Then the pressure in my chest started. My face was sweating and flush.

Turned into an episode of ER every nurse surrounded me. Pushing the meds, calling out numbers. Telling me to slowly breath. Blood pressure got to 188. Then after I started to focus on slowly breathing quickly began to drop. Stopped treatment for about half hour.

Then started again. I was scared. But they kept assuring me that all those med would make it ok. Did the 15 min slow, everything was ok. Then went to next level. It was fine and I finished. Doctor decided to change it from Taxol the to Abraxane for next treatment. Was there from 9am to 5:30.

9pm last night I started to get severe stomach pains, not intestines just stomach. Didnt feel gas or cramping just crazy pain. It was unbearable. Tried heating pad, didn't work. walked around house alot. Kept sitting hunched over. Nothing was working. Burped a cpl times, drank water seemed to start to relieve. It reminded me of when my dog had a pancreati attack. By 10pm feel asleep to 3am. Then wide awake. No pain. Had mild diarrhea a few times. This morning started feeling numbness in my forearms. Noticed a rash starting and took two benadryl. Both went away, but now numbness is coming back a little. Waiting for doctors office to opening to update them.

That was totally crazy. I'm not allergic to anything and expected to be a normal first round. Anyone else experience the same? I've seen people that have had the same reaction to Taxol. But those stomach pains were really scary. I don't understand what they were.

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Oh, I’m so sorry this happened to you! I know those reactions are fairly rare, but they are well equipped to handle those emergencies. I’m actually shocked that they thought they could proceed after all that. I always had about 30 minutes of a “drip” before the taxol containing a steroid and an antihistamine. Did they do that?

I have no idea about the stomach pains. I had terrible stomach lining issues, but they came on day 8-9 and didn’t include stabbing pain. I’m glad the Benedryl is helping. I’m very concerned about your numbness. I hope they can help you resolve some of these things.

I am NOT trying to scare you, but assure you that asking for help is OK. Days after the first infusion, I was on the floor in the bathroom (again) with pain and vomiting…those anti-nausea meds can only do so much…and then I knew my blood pressure was dropping. My poor husband couldn’t take it anymore and said, “That’s IT! I’m calling an ambulance!” By the time they finally showed up I was back in bed and OK. Another night I had been suffering from a migraine for hours and at 4:30 am my husband got up and announced, “We’re going to the ER!”

Don’t be afraid to ask for help! I think this is encouraging….I think that 1st infusion is a huge assault on your body. This ridiculously powerful foreign substance, meant to kill cells, and so your body is revolting…like..What was THAT??? For me, it was better after that. After 2nd infusion… Oh…We’re doing THAT again!

I’m praying for you, please let us know when you improve! You can do this! It’s awful, but saves your life!

❤️❤️❤️, A