Post mastectomy

Options
Jodim17908
Jodim17908 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi! Just had a bilateral mastectomy on May 3rd. Got my wound vac off yesterday and dealing with all the emotions of changed body image. I’m doing okay just still can’t believe this all happening. Can anyone give me any insight for expectations on healing?

Comments

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

My cancer center gave me a book called Breast Cancer Treatment Handbook, by Judy C. Kneece,RN, OCN. It tells everything about breast cancer. It has really been a help to me in answering my questions when I couldn't talk to the dr. It addresses the changes you are talking about. Also your cancer center should have a counselor you can talk to. I wish you all the best!

• Jodim17908
    Jodim17908 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thank you Sunny! I will look for it 😊

• christine5280
    christine5280 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Hi Jodi

I had double mastectomy March 2021. At first cried in shower, hard to even walk outside just felt so different. Wore camisoles all the time. I can say it’s a process. I have prosthetics that I wear to “boob worthy occasions “ or just a camisole. Just give yourself time. I’m curvy so it seems odd but I’m lots more confident how I look today then I was a year ago. All the best.