Hi I'm new to this site

Options
Louann04
Louann04 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited July 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi I'm new to this site I'm not sure what to do I'm looking to meet people who are dealing with rectal cancer

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Well, you have come to the right place.

The forum runs a little slow, so be patient, and other's will be along to welcome you.

Let us know how we can help.

Tru

• ForMyGirls2
    ForMyGirls2 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hello. I was diagnosed last March. Did Radiation, Chemo, and Surgery. Definitely a doable process. First scans show NED and life is good again. You will get through it. Reach out if you have any question. Keep a positive attitude and take one day at a time. You will look back soon and realize you were much stronger than you ever imagined, and it was just a stent in time you had to get through. Good luck and God Bless.

• rmh327
    rmh327 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hello, I also am a first timer on this site. I was diagnosed with stage three cancer of the sigmoid, and only had to go through radiation before surgery. I had an ileostomy for 8 weeks after surgery. The surgeon said it was to let anal side of the intestine heal before reversing the ileostomy. I had the reversal done two months ago. It has been a journey, I am just now getting comfortable with the changes between constipation, diarrhea, and occasional regular BM's. A week after surgery I was told the biopsy of the tumor showed no signs of cancer cells and opted not to undergo chemo treatments. I live by myself, and have gone through this on my own with calls from friends for encouragement. After the first surgery, the oncologist saw I was a little depressed and prescribed an antidepressant which helped immensely. I was told by other cancer patients they did the same with the antidepressants. Like others on this site have mentioned, you will find out how strong you are, and to make the best of every day. Sending you my best.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Stage 3C here. Dx 2019.

Best advice is get 2-3 consults before any treatment (if possible) and weigh them.

Having a board certifed surgeon with the best track record is important.

Expanded blood work beyond SOC can point to things before a scan does.

• Louann04
    Louann04 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the comments I go Monday to have a special colonoscopy done hopefully I will know what stage my cancer is at so far this journey has been a crazy one after this scan I will find out what treatments I will need or just surgery I'm a little scared but Im staying positive again thank you all

• Kathy_goodman
    Kathy_goodman Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I am also new here. Was diagnosed with colon cancer. Had surgery and now going through chemo. So very scary. I was already on an antidepressant but had to add Xanax to help with my severe anxiety. I only have to have 4 treatments. Already had one but still very anxious. Afraid how I will react to the treatments. Has anyone ever has muscle spasms from their treatment?

• Robby67
    Robby67 Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I had stage 3 rectal. Rad and chemotherapy reduced the orange size tumor to significantly shrink but not enough. So needed surgery and lost my anal sphincter so I have a permanent ostomy. So it almost worked. But we all are different. But use surgery as a last resort.

• Trubrit
    Options

It has been so long - wow, crazy to be able to say that - that the only spasms I recall, were my eye lids. It would happen when I went out into the cold, or if the house got too cold. I remember holding my hands in hot water and putting them over my eyes, to heat them up and stop the spasms.

I'm trying to think if I had muscle spasms, but am getting confused with the adverse reaction I had to Statins, which was chromic muscle spasming.

Be sure and mention it to your Oncologist - I used to tell mine EVERYTHING - I kept a list of everything that was different with my body and mind, and made sure to go through the whole list with him.

Good luck!

Tru

• Robby67
    Robby67 Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Thank

do have neuropathy from display.

• Trubrit
    edited July 2022 #11
    Options

Yes, I have neuropathy in my feet, legs to below the knee and my hands.

In hindsight, I should have researched neuropathy allot more, then I would have known to talk to my Oncologist as it was getting worse. I left it too late. By the time I told him, my hands were purple.

I am nine years (next week), out of chemo and Radiation, so it is something I will live with for the rest of my VERY LONG LIFE.

Moral to that story - be sure and keep your Oncologist informed about any sensations you experience in your hands and feet. In fact, I tell everyone to keep their Oncologist informed about EVERY SINGLE THING you experience during and after chemo and radiation.

Thought I would add picture, to show how discoloured my hands got. Nobody told me this was a BAD sign, thus, I did not show my Oncologist.

Good luck!

Tru