Immunotherapy For Stage IV Lung Cancer With COPD

Options
CGunter
CGunter Member Posts: 1 *
edited November 2022 in Lung Cancer #1

Hello, I'm new here, sadly. My husband of 19 years was just diagnosed with stage iv lung cancer this past Monday. They found a mass on his right lower lung and what looks like cancer on the lining of his lung. Dr said there is no cure, only treatment to help. My husband is 70 and has severe COPD, he is on steroids and rescue inhalers and uses oxygen. Dr said because of his COPD he does not qualify for radiation or immunotherapy as both would severely complicate his condition (COPD) chemo is scheduled for June 10th 😔

I've been reading on many Facebook message groups and have found others with COPD who have had immunotherapy, I'm so confused by what Dr is saying. I'd like to ask if anyone in here has severe COPD and has been able to withstand immunotherapy for lung cancer? Have any of you had negative side effects?

I'm so lost, I just want so badly to help my husband. Going into this we were set on immunotherapy over chemo because we've known a few people personally who went through chemo and suffered so much, my husband didn't want that, but now being told it's his only choice I feel so bad for him.

Comments

• Maribel_Morales89
    Maribel_Morales89 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I have also been diagnosed recently with stage 3 lung cancer. I am also considered terminal because of a gene mutation that has formed in my blood that will cause the cancer to spread. I don’t have COPD and I also don’t qualify for immunotherapy. Some things work for some people but harms others.. My doctor said that if at any moment I don’t agree with whatever treatment he suggested I could always look for a second opinion he even set me up with a doctor out of town because that doctor is more informed about the mutation that I have.. We don’t know how long we have but all we can do is enjoy every moment with our family and friends it’s hard because this is my second fight with cancer and everyone has high hopes especially my son but I pray that God guides my kids and watches over their milestones.. I pray the chimo keeps me here with them long enough!! Good luck on your journey!

• june9
    june9 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

My husband was diagnosed with a carcinoma of his lower right lobe last November. It was a stage 2/3. He had 4 cycles of chemo followed by 30 doses of radiation. The tumor has shrunk but now he has a year of immunotherapy to endure. The biggest problem is his fatigue . No matter how much rest or sleep he gets, nothing improves. He also has neuropathy from his treatments. I should add that he has COPD and only uses a daily inhaler. Is there any help for this fatigue? It's rough on a previously energetic person.