Numbness after surgery

Options
sultana
sultana Member Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2023 in Lung Cancer #1

I had small nodule on right upper lung. Stage 1A. Just had a lobectomy 4 weeks ago. The incision on my back and the two chest tube incisions are doing well. I am experiencing numbness and burning sensations in my right breast and right side of abdomen (directly across from one of the chest tube sites). Has anyone experienced this?

thank you

Miss Sultana

Comments

• SoCalT
    SoCalT Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I had a left lung lower lobectomy using the VATS method.

I'm about 8 weeks from surgery. My left chest area is still numb and my insides feels tied in knots.

Mine went from pain, to burning, to just feeling messed up on the inside. Although I am feeling stronger every day.

What you are feeling is normal after this type of surgery.

Hang in there. It will get better.

• franancy
    franancy Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I had a lobectomy for a 2cm Stage 1A tumor in my lower right lobe in February. They gave me gabapentin for the nerve pain but I had to stop taking it because it made my dizzy and my BP dropped very low. Six months later, I still have nerve pain at the largest incision site and in the center of my chest, between my breasts. The pain has subsided but is still bothersome. Good luck!

• SoCalT
    Options

Good morning.

I am 18 weeks and 3 days post surgery.

My left side chest is numb and I am experiencing discomfort as well.

My doctors tell me it may be like this for a while.

Nothing that I am or have taken never really takes that discomfort away.

I have been receiving pulmonary therapy for about 4 weeks now. It's not very effective.

And I am 2 weeks into physical therapy. Twice a week. And that is kicking my butt.

It feels helpful.

I have to admit. This is no fun

• sultana
    Options

Each day is getting better. Thank you

Hi again

I also admit this is no fun. I’m 4 months post surgery and still feeling the numbness from breast to rib area. It has lightened up a bit. My oncologist and primary doctor both stated it could last a long time or permanently. I have tried lidocaine patches which helped a bit. Still getting pins and needle pokes in center of chest which comes on suddenly but goes away quickly. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You are not alone. I’ve learned more from people on this site than the doctors or surgeon ever said.

Miss Sultana

• SoCalT
    Options

Hi, again.

I am experiencing the same as you describe.

Your surgical incision sounds much more invasive than mine.

Please take care of yourself, I will try and do the same.

Tim

• sultana
    Options

My surgical incision is on my back about the size and shape of a banana. I had full thoracic surgery and not vats. That isn’t so bothersome. The numbness is all in the front.

• SoCalT
    Options

Got it, understood.

Thank you

• Runninggirl
    Runninggirl Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

I am also 4wks post VATS right lower lobectomy. Seems like my pain (burning from under right breast around flank and continues on the right mid back) happens after dinner and continues during the night. Days are pretty good which leads me to do too much, which I pay for at night! Voltaren topical gel does help (by preecription). Physicsl therapy helps me to. The nerved that were damaged during surgery take a long time to heal.

• jp1
    jp1 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Had both sides done. Left is fine but still some numbness on right 16 months later.

• layla_123
    layla_123 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi, I had LR lobectomy 6 months ago. The pain under right breast was very uncomfortable. Gabapentin and lidocaine patches helped a lot. I feel better week by week still lots of tightness. I was told at least a year before things start to feel normal The surgeon did cryogenics around ribs so everything very numb. lol! I just looked at the date of your post and was last year, so I expect you are feeling good by now.

• sultana
    Options

Hi Layla

thank you for your response. Yes, as you noticed my post was last year. I am feeling much better. It’s been 19 months since surgery and upper rib and some numbness still exists. My oncologist said it may never go away. I’m now getting ct scans every 6 months and just had one two days ago. I’m praying for a good result. Im happy to hear that you are feeling better as time goes by. Best wishes to you. Stay strong and cancer free.

Angie

• cmsaxton
    cmsaxton Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Just had upper left lobe removed 10/12/2023. The pain and numbness around my breast and ribs is crippling to me. The mental component has been really tough, as my head feels capable but my body is not.

I'm also worried about starting chemo on 12/08/23, while I’m still healing from the surgery. Doesn’t that wreak havoc on the recovery from surgery?

• layla_123
    Options

Hi, also had a lot of pain in my right breast and a feeling that I was wearing a bra 3 times two small for me. I had a LR lobectomy in May 2023 the pain has decreased significantly, but I still take gabapentin and use lidocaine patches. I had the option of not doing the chemo as they got clean margins and no lymph involvement, but I thought it might be best to do the chemo after one round I was very sick and with the pain from surgery and the chemo i just thought, like you, it would be detrimental to the surgery healing. I’m not sure what your situation is, but talk with your oncologist and see what he say. Hang in there the pain gets better, but I’m told it could take up to a year for nerves to heal. I did go to a pain clinic and got some steroid nerve blocks. Exercise and stretching if you can.

• cmsaxton
    Options

I called the surgeon today to see if we could do anything for the pain. I know it’s nerve related. I move as much as I’m able but often to my own detriment, as I pay for it afterwards. Good to hear it lessens though

• layla_123
    Options

Absolutely! It does get better. I was like you and kept saying isn’t this ever going to get better. Yes, best not to over do with exercise take it easy and let your body heal.

• cmsaxton
    Options

Did you have any side effects with the gabapentin?

• sultana
    Options

Gabapentin made me extremely tired which helped me sleep better at night. I did not like the tiredness during the day which made my mental status very blah. I then refrained from taking it during the day and only used extra strength Tylenol. I only used the gabapentin for 3 weeks.

• cmsaxton
    Options

I was afraid to hear that about the gabapentin. Did the Tylenol put a dent in the nerve pain?

• layla_123
    Options

Gabapentin made me tired and helped me sleep at night and I was able to function fine during the day on it. Tylenol didn’t do anything for my nerve pain. Tramadol worked well, but I only took that if the pain was really bad. I didn’t function well on Tramadol and it is also very constipating.