Medication vs. Surgery

Options
MyFaith430
MyFaith430 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

I'm ER +. Had lumpectomy, chemo, radiation. On anastrozole. Has anyone removed ovaries and tubes? Or have complete hysterectomy? What are your thoughts? Not sure if i should just stay on meds or take out the source of the estrogen.

Comments

• catlady2
    catlady2 Member Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Have you spoken to any doctors about this? I believe that your "lady parts" are not the only source of estrogen. I totally understand the desire not to be on anastrozole! I read that adrenal glands and fat cells also produce estrogen. Perhaps a doctor can give you more insight into whether surgery would produce the same effects as anastrozole.

• Kathrn87
    Kathrn87 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with Stage II B breast cancer in 2004. After a partial mastectomy, dose dense chemotherapy (Adriamycin/Cytoxin followed by Taxol) for 8 weeks, then radiation daily for 30 days. It was recommended to me at the time to have a complete hysterectomy as "cancer tends to go set up house". I had a complete hyster in 2005 and was on anastrozole for almost 7 years. The cancer returned in 2016-17 and now I am in Stage 4 with bone metastasis and have been doing well up to this past few months. I have taken Ibrance with Letrozol, Falsodex, the Extemestene and now I have started Xeloda as the cancer has spread into my liver. What I hope to express here is that I have had a very long, successful time in remission and I am thankful that I had the hysterectomy. I have had close to 20 years of success with this chronic disease and my Oncologist is very optimistic that the Xeloda will stabilize everything again.