Scared I have EC

Options
neochiq
neochiq Member Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2022 in Esophageal Cancer #1

I apologize if this is disrespectful to those on here with a diagnosis, so feel free to not answer.

I have extreme health anxiety...but usually when I begin to freak out about something, the symptoms are real. Usually that are exacerbated by whatever caused me to panic, but real all the same.

I am a 39 year old woman. I am overweight, have 2 small children, and no notable history of anything. My dad had liver cancer at 70 and one great aunt had EC in older age. Maybe her 80's?

So, about a week ago I had this really intense day-long burping episode. The burping was causing pain in my mid-chest / right ribs. I googled a lot thinking it was trapped air or liver/gallbladder issues.

Later I realized that the burping had pretty much cleared up (I thought maybe I had a really bad IBS or GERD flare?) but that it hurt when I swallowed. I have never had pain while swallowing before so I was concerned.

So because I have severe anxiety, I began 'testing' myself. The pain was there swallowing saliva, food, or drink. I also tried swallowing with 0 items in my mouth (a dry swallow) and the pain was still there.

So it's a week out now...The pain is not as frequent but still present at times and I'm making myself sick with worry. I don't think I'm having trouble swallowing, but things feel tight (which I would be willing to bet is my anxiety)

I keep finding stories of very young women who had similar symptoms to mine... I keep trying to tell myself that the likelihood of my having this are almost non-existent...but... the statistics have to come from somewhere! I am also slowly losing weight but when I have extreme anxiety episodes I'm not able to eat. I've dropped multiple pounds before during anxiety (convincing myself I was losing weight due to cancer)

So, amazing people, am I presenting as a typical EC case? It's been about a week, do I wait a little longer to see if this goes away? It does seem to be easing up some but I'd hate to be that person that ignores things and then gets worse. I am terrified... If you've read this far, thank you for your kindness.

-Jennie

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options

Hi Jennie,

It does sound like your esophagus is very irritated; but I am not sure that you have classic symptoms of esophageal cancer. When I had esophageal cancer I had a burning sensation when I swallowed, but in addition, I had a feeling like food was getting "stuck" in my esophagus just above my stomach, and when I swallowed I could feel the food passing that "sore spot" in my esophagus.

I would ask the following questions:

1. Do you have a history of acid reflux or "heartburn"
    2. Do you sometimes "hiccup" after swallowing food or drink?
    3. Are you having trouble swallowing?
    4. Do you sometimes feel that food is getting "stuck" going down your esophagus?

If so, I would investigate this with your doctor. As you are a young woman, most doctors tend to discount the potential of esophageal cancer because EC is rare in younger women. But if your symptoms persist, I would be adamant about seeing a gastroenterologist and getting an endoscopy to be sure.

Esophageal cancer is treatable when diagnosed in early stages, so no need to panic, but the more advanced the spread the more difficult it is to treat.

Best Regards,

Paul

• neochiq
    Options

Hi, thanks for the response. I’m still terrified lol.

1. Yes I get heartburn. It was especially bad when I was pregnant. Occasionally I’ll get that burning feeling and drink some milk to soothe it and it gets better. There’s been a few times in the last few years I’ve woken up coughing from acid.
    2. Hiccup? I mean I won’t get the full hiccups but possibly a hiccup burb or two occasionally. Not always.
    3. I’m having trouble swallowing sort of but nothing I haven’t felt before when I’ve had major panic episodes like this. I mean I can’t sleep, can’t eat, and just keep crying because I think I’m dying.
    4. No- I don’t feel like food is getting stuck but I don’t know if I’d recognize it if I did? Or would I know?

My anxiety heightens everything. I am hyper aware of everything my body is feeling right now. I’ve been through this type of anxiety before and experience the same shaking, dread, panic. (Though I am not discounting the actual symptoms)

My issues do seem to be getting slightly better and I did realize there was a possible cause.

I forgot that I had been taking low dose aspirin for the last few weeks with a tiny sip of water right before bed. I’ve read some promising stuff that I possibly caused an ulcer for myself… but I don’t know how common that is.

Yesterday my stomach had some sharp pains but the pain when swallowing was a little better.

I do have an appt with a virtual visit today and I will ask for an endoscopy. Though I’m terrified to find out what I’m dealing with. I hope I just caused something with the low dose aspirin.

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options

Hi Jennie,

In addition to having acid reflux for a number of years I also; after suffering for many years, found a physician who took the time to really understand all of my symptoms including my ongoing anxiety and tendency to obsess about my symptoms. I eventually; after a referral to a psychiatrist, I was diagnosed with panic disorder and OCD. Many PCPs prescribe benzodiazepines like Xanax, Valium, and Ativan for anxiety but these do not address the core issue that causes panic disorder. The core issue is caused by a lack of available serotonin in our brains. FDA-approved medications to treat panic disorder include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).

I am certainly NOT a medical professional so I am not qualified to diagnose or prescribe. However your life certainly sounds like my life prior to diagnosis and treatment for panic disorder. Once on appropriate medication, along with regular meditation and relaxation training, my life changed 100% for the better.

I would suggest once you have your immediate symptoms resolved with your PCP, you discuss your ongoing issues with anxiety with your PCP as well. There tends to be a stigma attached to treatment for a "mental" disorder in our society; but it is certainly not valid, and there is no reason to suffer unnecessarily.

Wishing you the best in your journey,

Best Regards,

Paul

• neochiq
    Options

Paul, I value your perspective. I know I need help but I never wanted to take medication because over the last 10 years I was either doing fertility treatment/breastfeeding/pregnant/etc. I am almost 40 so I think we are done having babies but we haven't said it officially.

As I said before, I think my symptoms have gotten a little better but I still have no appetite (which could be my anxiety as this has happened to me before) and there are twinges of pain here and there. I can tell my esophagus is still irritated.

I have read stories of other young women (and men) that their symptoms came and went so it's not really reassuring to me unfortunately. My friends keep telling me I'll feel silly if this is just an ulcer...and I said 'no, I'll feel relieved' lol. Though I've never heard of an ulcer causing pain while swallowing ...but I have heard of aspirin causing esophagitis...so we'll see!

• neochiq
    Options

The nurse today said they think it’s the aspirin I took but agreed to an endoscopy early next week

• nicmarie75
    nicmarie75 Member Posts: 57 Member
    Options