Pros and cons about breast reconstruction

Options
zerad67
zerad67 Member Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

It will be 2 years in August that I had my mastectomy and I use my prosthesis but it’s kind of heavy and I have arthritis in my hands which makes it difficult to place in my bra and put my straps on my shoulders .

I have been considering having the reconstruction surgery and would love to hear everyone’s views. My JP drain site under my arm got infected and tunneled after my surgery and when the infection was gone I had surgery again to clean that up and my scar is horrible and I was wondering and hoping that the reconstruction surgery could cover it up .

I think the only two cons ( well fears ) is having surgery again and the fear of breast cancer coming back and what the chances are of that happening

Comments

• Jodim17908
    Jodim17908 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I can’t really speak to the reoccurrence risks but I have just had my mastectomy with reconstruction stage 1. Which basically means they put a spacer in place to let things heal and then will gradually add saline to stretch the skin. After we get to the size I want they will remove the spacer and put in the implant. I never realized it was a step by step process.

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I do know that www.tlc.org has prosthesis that are lightweight. They have a free catalog they can send you if you want to try a different one.

• savbc
    savbc Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Thank you about the info on lighter prostheses. Medicare paid for one for me, but it feels heavy and irritates the nerve endings from mastectomy surgery.

• savbc
    savbc Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Is this the correct website? My search comes up with a church organization…

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I can see your post. So it is the correct website.

• laf453
    laf453 Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

Tlcdirect.org