Suggested break during radiotherapy

Options
greentea98
greentea98 Member Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My dad is currently having radiation for pelvic recurrence and sacral mets. He still have final 5 radiations left of his 5 weeks treatment but he been having continuous cramps from today morning so doc advised to take a break for 2-3 days because they say these cramps are because of radiation.

The side effects of radiations have been more severe as the treatment progressed. Cramps has been the major side effect of radiations. And maybe also his bowel movements but they have not been normal since LAR in 2017. Also there is gas pain which occurs sometimes but have continuing since the weekend of 3rd week.

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Inflammation control might be something to think about due to radiation.

Healthy tissue destruction might be a little relieved by vitamin e and c.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that your dad is going through the wringer. Radiation was nothing short of a trip to and from Hell, for me. Cramps, uncontrollable bowels, the constant urge to go when there was nothing there; just to name a few. Plus the long-term side effects, which are no pleasant, but I won't grumble, because long-term means I am alive, and that is a happy thing.

I hope that the break in treatments will give him some kind of relief, though it may all start up again, when he gets back to it.

Five treatments does not seem like allot, until you are going through it, but five days seems like five years.

Wishing him well.

Tru