New to CSN and a little lost

Options
JanetRB4
JanetRB4 Member Posts: 11 Member
edited May 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I’m new here and I’m not sure if this is where I should introduce myself (I did look for a category for newcomers but didn’t see one) but I also don’t want to be thought of as a “lurker” so here goes – short story: colon cancer (tumor removed in 2019 along with resectioning) that metastasized  in the liver after a few months of scans. (CEA eventually climbed to # 900). – Biopsy performed that confirmed 7 lesions in liver. 

My consultation with the oncologist was not very hopeful – 1-2 years/ life expectancy w/o treatment, maybe 2-5 with treatment. It was a tough decision because I will be 82 this month and wondered if it were worth the effort to add years to my already longer-than-average life span, but I was NOT ready to go quite yet!

Long story short – I opted for chemo and although there are times I’m uncomfortable or tired, I’ve suffered no drastic side effects. I just completed treatment #10 out of 16; however, my results have been so promising the doctor is considering a PET scan before #11 and go from there. My husband and I are both optimistic in spite of the original diagnosis.

My CEA is now 9.5. I don’t deny treatments have taken their toll but I’m still cooking, shopping and gardening and have yet to experience pain. I do have questions pertaining to other problems that go with living with cancer but will save those for my next visit here. Just wanted to say hello, I hope things are going well for everyone and thanks for sharing your stories here! 

Janet Butler – Kerrville, TX

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited May 2022 #2
    Options

Hello Janet. I am happy that you have posted here on the forum, and I'm sure between everyone here, we will be able to help you with any questions or concerns.

I like that you say you and your husband are 'optimistic'. Having a great attitude is a good thing; especially when the going gets tough.

I do hope the PET scan shows improvement, and that you may be able to get a break from the chemo.

Don't pay too much attention to the whole life expectancy thing. They gave me the 3 - 5 years and I have just celebrated eight. They are just estimates, and not set in stone.

I look forward to you posts, and ask as many questions as you wish.

P.S. you did indeed post in the right place, so no worries on that score.

Take good care of yourself.

Tru

• JanetRB4
    JanetRB4 Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Tru -- I do so appreciate your response to my post. I definitely look forward to learning how others have handled awkward situations, spousal discussions, etc. Thanks for welcoming me to the group and I wish everyone here the best possible results!! Janet B.