signet ring cell carcinoma of colon

Options
wifeofminer
wifeofminer Member Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

my 69 yr old fit and healthy husband had surgery last week for srcc in his colon with 2 lymph nodes involved. We're meeting with oncologist Weds. He only has 1 kidney due to a previous cancer. Not sure how that will affect any chemo regimen. If chemo is even effective with srcc. Any comments?

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that your husband is hitting the Cancer road a second time. Once is really enough for anyone.

I am sure you are all ready with multiple questions for the Oncologist on Wednesday. Having been through it all before, you know how important it is to get as much info as possible. My Oncologist learned on the first visit, that he didn't get to leave the room until I was satisfied that all of my questions were answered. I hope your (your husband's) Oncologist is everything you expect him/her to be.

I am not sure if a previous run in with chemo for a secondary Cancer will make any difference, as they use a different cocktail for Colon Cancer as they would the kidneys. And also being short of a kidney, may or may not make a difference.

I wish you both the best as you move forward.

Be sure and post again (and again and again), we are a super little group of fellow patients and caregivers. We have allot to offer.

Tru

• wifeofminer
    Options

Thanks, Tru.

We feel encouraged after meeting with oncologist. Chemo is recommended every 2 weeks for 3 months. His kidney cancer didn't require any chemo. We don't know what to expect. How sick will he be? Can we take short trips in between treatments.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited May 2022 #4
    Options

Everyone responds to chemo differently. For some it is okay, for others it is miserable. I travelled on the last weekend of my off week (2 weeks on, one week off) and it helped me keep my sanity. For me, some days were good and some were not. I learned not to make plans during the chemo weeks because a day could turn bad without warning, meaning cancelled plans if I had made them. The off weeks were much better and much more predictable. Good luck with the upcoming challenges.

• wifeofminer
    Options

Thanks. We'll soon see how this works. Does the caregiver have to be super sanitary sharing a bathroom with the chemo patient. The residual chemicals could harm me?

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Contact chemo is a disputed topic. Some people take precautions, some do not. I was never warned about it and had no concerns. Others seem very concerned.

• Chesnutmor
    Chesnutmor Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi,

The chemo regimen is similar to colon cancer 5 Fu and oxiplatin. it will rough especially withe neuropathy. I hope and pray for a successful remission.

jill