Anyone have osteoporosis because your ovaries were removed also??

marisolsfear
marisolsfear Member Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

I had my hysterectomy with ovary removal 1 year ago and have already been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Anyone else have the same experience??

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,477 Member

marisolsfear, I saw no one posted regarding your question, but I don't know if that issue has been brought up previously.

I do think that osteoporosis has other contributing factors, so I don't know if having a hysterectomy is the only reason a person could develop osteoporosis. However, anything is possible.

I was told I had osteopenia at one point, I don't know if it was before or after all my surgery and treatment, but I am aware that and should be doing everything I can to strengthen my bones.

• marisolsfear

It’s just strange because I’m 45 and have no other health conditions.

I recommend everyone who has unfortunately had to have their ovaries removed have a bone density test.

thank you NoTimeForCancer for your reply. Hope everything is well and you have had a successful treatment

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 1,010 Member

I guess I didn't reply because I don't have osteoporosis. But menopause's a contributing factor of osteoporosis. Thin women are more prone to it also. I have a friend who didn't want treatment for her osteoporosis and ended up with a collapsed disc and back pain. I hope your bone density improves with treatment.

• marisolsfear

Thank you Forherself. I definitely going to start treatment for it.

• RainbowRita
    RainbowRita Member Posts: 72 Member

Yes, the one "good thing" about being heavy for most of a woman's adult life is that it will result in denser bones. From what I've read, general recommendation is to have a bone density test done if you are 65 or older, unless you have risk factors for osteoporosis, then should talk to your doctor about having one done sooner.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

My PCP ordered my first bone density scan when I was 55 (several years before I had my cancer surgery). I just got retested last year. The results from both were considered normal. So my hysterectomy and removal of ovaries, fallopian tubes, and nearby lymph nodes haven't caused osteoporosis in my case.

But I agree that if you have it, whatever the cause, be sure to get the recommended treatment. Brittle bones can be so debilitating as we age.

• marisolsfear

Im glad all is well.

i hope treatment works and I do t have to experience the symptoms.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 489 Member

I have a friend who went through natural menopause in her early 40s. She was diagnosed with osteoporosis several years later, and it was fairly advanced. My friend took one of the bisphosphonate drugs for several years, but it didn't really do much if anything to improve things. As a result, her doctor switched her to Prolia. She gets injections twice a year and the results have been excellent. The doctor also recommended that she get into regular walking and weight-lifting programs, which she has done.

I think age at menopause, whether surgical or natural, plays a role. She went through menopause very early. Your ovary removal at 44 was also quite young.

I hope your treatment is as successful as my friend's!!

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 206 Member

I had a bone density scan about 8 years ago an dit was normal and I had one this January about 6 months after my surgery and it was still normal even after a broken foot. I am much older than you. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Hope you get benefit from the treatment.

• marisolsfear

Oh thank you for sharing that. I just assumed treatment would work no matter which one I choose.

• marisolsfear

im glad all was normal. Hope the foot healed as well.

thank you ☺️

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 206 Member

Thanks - it did. That happened about 5 months before my EC diagnosis so luckily I was out of the boot and all healed.

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

I had my total hysterectomy at age 45. Got diagnosed with osteoporosis around 55. I’m 61 years old now. Not sure if it was inherited or because of cancer

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member

I had a hysterectomy in 2005 and that’s when they found my cancer. I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis in 2015 at age 55. There is a history of arthritis in my family so I am not sure if it was due to that or familiar or both! I have tendinitis, osteophytes, osteo arthritis. I just turned 62. I do not take any medications though as I was concerned about the fracture side effects. My humerus on my right arm broke by just leaning on it but it was not due to osteroporosis.

Kathy