New here

Options
brendagee
brendagee Member Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello! My mom just completed her first chemo Monday ( 1 down, 5 to go) and it has already been very difficult these past few days. Do any of you lovely ladies have insight on how I can best support her? She is currently experiencing pretty bad stomach cramps, lack of appetite and is super fatigued. She is also already thinking she can’t do it, i know she can but not sure how to convey that and validate her feelings.

Any insight would be so appreciated!

Comments

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

If she is having the AC treatment (Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide) that is probably pretty normal. I had the same thing. I had terrible cramps and diarrhea every morning for a few days. I would just pray to die, it was that bad. But I made it! She will start feeling better the further out she is from her treatment. I felt pretty good by the second week. They gave me a book called The Breast Cancer Treatment Handbook by Judy C. Kneece, RN, OCN. It was very helpful if she can get one. Tell her to be sure and drink lots of water. When she can't eat, encourage her to drink Ensure, Boost, etc. I couldn't tolerate dairy, so I found some plant based nutrition shakes online at Amazon called Evolve. They were surprisingly good. And get lots of rest. She is not going to feel really bad the whole time. I had my last chemo in April and a lumpectomy last week. They found no cancer in my lymph nodes or margins but I still have to have some radiation. Encourage her to hang in there, because she CAN make it. I don't know if you all are believers, but I know that God carried me every step of the way through it all. I had prayers going up all around me. I will put your mom on my prayer list. Please keep us posted!

• emily_maynard11
    emily_maynard11 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hi,

First off I want to tell you that I am praying for your family. Secondly, the first time my mom had chemo and radiation she was extremely tired all the time, hardly ate, and also experienced the stomach cramps. It's very normal to have these symptoms when being placed on certain chemo's. With that being said we had to keep her protein up and made sure she stayed extremely hydrated. As sunny5 said, the further out from treatment you are the better you will feel. Protein shakes are wonderful for people who have cancer and don 't have an appetite. A good idea to help your mom mentally is maybe trying to get her into journaling, or even joining a group as well if she isn't in one. Talking to people who have been through the same things often helps a lot. My mom is actually part of a group now, and she says it has helped her immensely especially this second time around. Over all, just be there for her always. When she feels like she can't go on let her know that she can and that she isn't alone, give her all the love she needs, but also make sure to take care of yourself, because how you feel can affect her as well, I'm learning that with my mom. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to contact me, I will always be here! Good luck! God bless!♥️

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options