LARS Question/resection with no ileostomy

Options
JoanMar
JoanMar Member Posts: 19 Member
edited April 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Looking for some info on what to expect post-op as related to the possibility of dealing with LARS, I am 3 weeks post op, was able to lobby for a laparoscopy, and no ileostomy. That went well and so far so good. I was T3b N1M0, tumor higher in the rectum. Had FOLFOX and radiation pre-surgery. Was told to expect some bowel dysfunction, but now looking for more info on what to anticipate, so far some clustering on 2 occasions, and urgency, but no major mishaps. Worked during chemo and am taking 6 weeks of for this recovery and plan to return to work in June, which does entail traveling so am concerned about flying with this new "normal"

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Research Slippery Elm.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Our Cancer journey is so individualised, it is hard to say exactly what your might face as you move forward. I know for me, I was pretty tied to the house for a while, but then, chemo and especially radiation, was hell on earth, and continued way beyond treatment.

I would suggest you go out prepared - and I am sure you already knew that. Spare clothes, and the like.

One thing that surprised me, once I got out and about, was latchkey incontinence. Yes, it is real. I would get close to home, or somewhere where I went to the bathroom while out, and the urge to go was almost overwhelming - and often resulted in an accident. I had to train my brain and body, in order to get past this stage. I've not heard of anybody else on the forum mention this, so it might be rare.

Good luck as you head back to work. It may not always be easy, but you will get there.

Tru

• JoanMar
    JoanMar Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Thank you for the advice, I agree with the training and plan to work on that. Also my Dr. is suggesting a pelvic floor PT referral.

Best!