Questions about chemotherapy

Options
Loo2590
Loo2590 Member Posts: 20 Member
edited June 2022 in Ovarian Cancer #1

1 week post operation. Removed everything plus 3 lymphs. Cancer is still in rectum but not attached. Post op appt next week. Assuming 6 rounds of chemo.

Trying to schedule with family and work concerning chemo. I know everyone is different but if anyone can give insight as to when about to expect the worst declines in ability to do things. I know the end doses will be the worst but when did everyone start their decline. Didnt feel like they could work, needed more help, hair loss, extreme fatigue that would be helpful.

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Hi, Loo2590

I’m glad to hear you’ve had your surgery and now just waiting for post-op appointment. Their decision about treatment will depend almost entirely on your stage. As Stage II, I had chemo only, but I think most Stage III & IV’s have chemo, plus radiation…internal and/or external.

There are lots of threads on the Uterine Board regarding chemotherapy. I think many times the drugs used are similar for ovarian, while I think breast cancers might use different ones. If you click on my profile a list of original posts will come up, or just do a search on either this or the uterine page. I created a specific thread about how chemo went for me titled, “Waiting of the other show to drop,” (typo: should be “Waiting for….!). The side-effects are different for everyone. There’s good information too about preventing neuropathy (icing), and lymphadema (I suffered neither) on other threads.

A common phrase as to chemo on our board is: “It’s doable.” Regardless that my GO thought “You did very well with chemo!” (My bloodwork held up beautifully and no infusions were delayed.) I always said, “You only think that cuz you haven’t been living in my house!” I thought it was quite a nightmare, myself, but I had an uncommon stomach lining issue.

I’m here for you!

Let us know what they say next week!

❤️, A

• Loo2590
    Options

Thanks for your input. I read everything on your old post. It seems like alot of ppl experienced their worst symptoms during the first dose, if I'm reading it correctly. My husband had tonsil cancer a few years back, his worst symptoms didn't start happening till the 3rd-4th dose. So that is why I was curious.

I'm 12 days post surgery. Its been rough. The gas is unbearable at times, though getting betting. I don't even notice the pain from the actual surgery just the gas. I think I would be fine right now if it wasn't for that.

Thanks for your replies, its great to have people to talk to.

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Hi!

I’m sorry the gas has been a problem for you. I had that many years ago after a laproscopy for endometriosis, but it didn’t bother me after the cancer surgeries. Glad it’s better!

You’re welcome for the replies. I know how quiet this board is, so I try to post here when I can.

I went back and read some my old thread. Wow…I don’t remember being that optimistic about everything! I know I tried to be…and all my family & friends kept telling me that I was, but I didn’t really see it (at the time!).

I will be thinking of you and your post-op appointment. If you have any questions, please ask.

❤️, A

• EmberTetra
    EmberTetra Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hi there! I had my first round of chemo (Carbo/Taxol) a week and a half ago; surgery (TAH-BSO + extra) was March 9. The first few days I felt pretty good except had an awful metallic taste in my mouth. I've now got some peripheral neuropathy in my fingers and toes, and am more fatigued. Go for walks if you can. Take the meds as prescribed. Drink lots of water and eat small meals several times a day. I'm nervous about round 2 on May 13 as I've heard the side effects are cumulative and can be worse with each round. Good luck!

• Loo2590
    Options

Thanks Ember for the reply. Its sounds like first round wasn't to terrible. Are you doing weekly rounds or every 3 weeks. Not sure if your next round will be worse or not. I've seen on this board that the girls are generally saying that the first round is the worst and the effects will be similar for each round. My husband had tonsil cancer a couple years ago he dosed every week and each round was worse. But it seems to be different for us. I did look up your peripheral neuropathy, there's a cream that supposed to help that you can get from the drug store called capsaicin cream. Haven't seen anyone mention it. If you try it and it works let me know, it seems I will be a couple of weeks behind you in treatment. Good luck, stay 💪