A Question, A "Brag," and A Big, Warm Hug

Options
Harmanygroves
Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member

Hello, my beloved ladies--

I need to wallow in some of the more recent posts. I got busy purchasing a new keyboard and it's more like a computer in some ways. I'm programming it, removing four pianos and adding the newest "White Grand," and teaching myself how to navigate the control board. I've always told my four bandmates--all men--I'm a piano player, NOT a computer player, but that seems to be changing. So.

Question: I woke up two nights ago with my right arm in pain. I determined it was in my armpit region, and did some moaning and groaning, as it hurt. When I woke up, I noticed it was a little swollen. My left armpit--and lymph area?--was also just a little swollen and tender. Of course, because of my cancer, everything is cancer. Cancer. Recurrence. Lalalal. I feel better this morning, and am now connecting my pain to packing my 60-pound amp around the house. And that could be it. Should I worry? I worry.....If it's all gone, I think I'll mention it to doctor oncologist but stop being so paranoid.

Brag: I started a serious diet, and am now down about thirteen pounds since surgery. 9.8 pounds down in about three weeks. I'm feeling much more like myself, lighter on my feet, and starting to feel more like I did before I gained cancer and covid weight. Whee!

Hugs: I need to give Rita a huge shoutout for surviving her surgery, and she sounds positive. Rita, congrats! You are such a sweet person. I'm also going to go poke around and see what's going on with Alicia and MoeKay. In a dream state, I read a post that implied something's up. Okay, I'm going to go read now.

Love to all!

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 970 Member
    Options

At first I thought you were talking about a new computer keyboard, but now I realize it is a music keyboard. My brother in law plays in hotels and my husband plays for fun so I am familiar with the computer technology. Awe inspiring. Have fun.

I guess yes I would have a doctor check out your lymph nodes, although it is an odd place and less likely to be a troublesome cause. Always something. And congratulations on the weight loss. Ten pounds is a lot!

Sue

• RainbowRita
    RainbowRita Member Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Hi Deb,

I always enjoy reading your posts. :-) However, I am a bit concerned about your sore arm. I know what you mean about worrying that every little ache and pain could be cancer-related. I asked my oncologist at my post-treatment video visit, "How do I not turn into a hypochondriac?" I wondered how to decide f something is worth "bothering" the doctor about and how to not misjudge that something I think is no big deal could turn out being something that really should be checked out. She told me that if something doesn't improve in a week or two to contact her nurse. So, I am passing that advice along to you, Deb. 🙂

If it is still bothering you a week from now, please consider get it checked. OK?  I am a "cautionary tale" that we are often not good judges of deciding what is or is not “no big deal” in regards to a potential health issue. If something doesn't improve in a reasonable amount of time, better to get it checked out sooner rather than later to mitigate the damage.

• Harmanygroves
    Options

Thank you, Sue and Rita!

I've been communicating with my oncology office today. I just got another note, so I'll go check.

Oddly, I now have pain on the back of that same arm. This is so weird!

Deb

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Hi Deb,

I hope your gyn-onc was able to put your mind at ease about your armpit and arm pain. I remember the first couple of years after treatment were psychologically exhausting. I thought everything was/might be/could be a recurrence. I worried excessively in large part because, like you, I had a deeply-invasive tumor and extensive LVSI, among other troubling things. I think checking with the oncologist's office sooner rather than later has a huge psychological benefit. Once you find out that your issue is due to carrying around your 60-pound amp and not a recurrence, you will be relieved and will be able to stop worrying. By the way, I'm in awe of the fact that you're able to lug something 60 pounds around! I have all I can do to carry a 20-pound bag of litter up from the basement!

Also, big congratulations on your impressive weight loss!

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Hi, Sweet Deb!

yes! Get the armpit checked if it persists! Congrats on the weight loss!

Whenever I encounter new technology that I’m not too thrilled with mastering, my common response/ phrase is this: “I was born before 1960. I don’t WANT to do that!” HahahaHahaHa! Of course, even as far back as the late 80’s I was still refusing to learn how to pump my own gas! Why? Cuz I didn’t WANT to! Then it got to where I didn’t have a choice! Now that’s a long time ago!

So… Congrats on learning the new keyboard!

❤️❤️❤️, A

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Hey, Deb,

Glad you chimed in. I missed ya. Congrats on the 10 pounds (rounding up) behind you, or not behind you.

I am amazed at the amount of band equipment you seem to lug and move about? May I be sexist & old fashioned and suggest those male band mates help you out a bit?

Yes, every pain is a cancer recurrence to me, too. OMG OMG! Worry does permeate my mind. Only here with my friends can I laugh at my crazy anxiété. I accidentally switched my keyboard to French and anxiety looks less menacing. I am on my way to Xanax by this Friday's Cancer Survivorship meeting. Lorazepam makes me too sleepy.

• Harmanygroves
    Options

Great to know that the French language is making things easier! Sorry I've been absent. I got a new keyboard and am pedals to the metal learning it.

Nord Electro 6! whee! I had to hide it from the hubs until I could figure out how to introduce the idea that I'd spent 3K on more equipment.

My band mates moving equipment? They get the amps -- very heavy.

<3

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I think I would have the doctor check that armpit. Let them tell you its a strained muscle. But if it's not, they can do something about it straight away.

Congrats on the weight loss. I've gained 20 pounds and still gaining since being prescribed megace. Not happy about it one bit as it all seems to be in my belly. You are inspiring me to find ways to lose it.

Jan

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Likely nothing but worth checking out as a precaution. Let us know!

• Harmanygroves
    Options

Hey Alicia, and all of you lovely friends--

I spent half an hour trying to post before I realized I wasn't logged in. Where did my brain go? Happy your surgery went well, Alicia, and Rita is healing, and Moekay's doing okay!

I'm doing a ton of writing now, and getting 7K views per month and earning some serious money on "Medium," the site I've linked you to.

I can share more stories, but don't want to overload anyone with my stuff. Life is pretty good. I'm going to have to break down and go into my patient portal and figure out when I'm due back in the doctor's office. I think July, but I'm not sure.

Is everyone healthy, aside from this spate of skin cancer?????

Love to all---

Deb

• Harmanygroves
    Options

All is good regarding the pesky pit! I'm exhausted, but it's a happy exhausted. I seem to have hit some new milestone in my cancer recovery in which I am pretty successfully ignoring it. I don't think that's a great idea, but for now....I'm happy.

I need to make a few changes in my personal habits.

I got too involved (and am still very involved) in writing on Medium, the site I write for. Only 6% of writers will ever make 100 dollars. I've made figures with zeroes for a couple months running. I started getting really eager to publish, and am working with several different publications.

It's made a significant difference in my financial wellbeing, to the degree I've paid off some debt. I'm still avoiding a few medical bills, but that will need to be resolved. I can't ignore them!

love to all------------Deb <3

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Getting paid for something you like to do is always a great feeling. Glad that you have outlets for your writing. And reducing debt definitely helps one’s frame of mind!