Starting the journey at 51

Options
2»

Comments

• TomThorn62
    TomThorn62 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Perhaps you didn't read the thread and the consistent reference to high PSA having a positive correlation with high risk. In fact, low PSA is often correlated with aggressive cancer and PSA is not an indication of how aggressive the cancer is but actually how much prostate specific protein there is in the blood; whether due to prostatitis, BPH, or other benign conditions besides cancer. My post is therefore, highly relevant. If you want to have a debate with a scientist, I have plenty of free time to do so.

• centralPA
    centralPA Member Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Tom, you said "In fact, low PSA is often correlated with aggressive cancer"

High PSA correlates with higher risk of cancer. Low PSA is anti-correlated.

I will agree with you that if you have been diagnosed with cancer, and your PSA is low, you are more likely to have the most aggressive cancer. But the combination of PCa and low PSA is pretty low probability in the larger scheme of things.

• TomThorn62
    TomThorn62 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thank you for clarifying. Men with low PSA and Gleason 9 prostate cancer can take comfort in your post.

• CoolDady
    CoolDady Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

MK,

if you dont mind me asking - what hospital did you go to for surgery, and do you still regret it? I was just diagnosed, was leaning towards HIFU, but am discovering the high costs and my urologist at Mayo indicating 30-40% chance of reocurrance.... making it hard for myself to justify spending $25k or whatever it will cost... but I am still researching. thanks

• MK1965
    MK1965 Member Posts: 233 Member
    Options

CoolDady,

To answer your question is Yes. I still regret my decision ( my doc and my wife decided) every single day.

On 11/2/2016, my sex life died. I am living human but dead man. My BIGEST disappointment is that I accepted RP against my will but became victim of doc+ wife pressure to go with RP.

Now, 6+ years after RP, I am cancer free but recovery wise, I ended with disastrous results: never recovered erectile function despite doing everything possible to rehab it, I lost 2+ inches of lenght, still have stress incontinece and worst of all, I am total anorgasmia ( no orgasms for me).

I had my surgery in Houston, TX at St Luke’s hospital.

MK

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I have not had penetration sex in well over a decade, since my RP, but there are certainly more ways to make your wife enjoy sexual relations without penetration. There is SO MUCH MORE to life and to a marital relationship than sex. If no sex destroys the marital relationship, then IMO it is not a complete relationship. I still consider myself a 'man', and so does my wife. It is well past the time for you to look outward, rather than inward. I'm sorry to be blunt, but that line of reasoning is getting real old, in my opinion.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 526 Member
    Options

I give you a bit of advice you take it or leave it I was diagnosed at 56 but my PSA was only seven I came on the forum here and I drove everybody crazy I saw one doctor after another after another I got so confused but the reason was because I was deathly afraid of surgery so I went to radiation treatment way and it did work out for me but I’ll tell you what brother I know three people older than me that I’ve had prostate cancer since my diagnosis all of them had the best surgeon all of them are fine two of them we’re back to work in three weeksDo not go crazy on this form it will lead you to confusion go find the best surgeon you can make sure he has at least 2 to 3000 surgeries under his belt get it done as soon as you can and you’ll be fine leave the radiation in your back pocket in case you need it later good luck and may God bless you.. remember one thing probably less than one percent of men who have prostrate cancer or on this form the ones that come on this form are probably worried and confused get the surgery done and don’t look back that’s just my opinion I wish I would have done it hopefully I’ll be OK and you will be too