Possible recurrence of colon cancer

Options
Futurecancersurvivor
Futurecancersurvivor Member Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi

I was diagnosed at 43 with stage 3 colon cancer back in 2018. All labs and CT scans and colonoscopies were NED. I have had my routine CT scan and they informed me of a small cystic adnexal mass 3.9 cm. I’m so scared! I can’t stop the impending doom that I’m about to walk through. I can’t eat, sleep function. I was almost at my 4 year anniversary of my diagnosis.

Anyone gone through this and have good results? I have a phone call appointment scheduled with my Gynecologist. Is 3.9cm small enough to catch it in time? I have a pap and colonoscopy scheduled in the next few weeks. How am I supposed to function till then???

i can’t believe I’m going through this again!! Please help!!!

Comments

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Hi, I had no idea what cysticadnexal means, so I googled it and found out this (copy):

An adnexal mass is a lump in tissue of the adnexa of uterus (structures closely related structurally and functionally to the uterus such as the ovariesfallopian tubes, or any of the surrounding connective tissue). Adnexal masses can be benign or cancerous, and they can be categorized as simple or complex.[1] One of the most important factors used to determine the clinical suspicion of malignancy of an adnexal mass is the sonographic appearance of the mass.[2] Indications that the mass is at a higher risk of being malignant include the presence of loculations, nodules, papillary structures, or septations or a size greater than 10 cm.[3][4]

You have your appointment in next few weeks, so you are going to find out more. The size of your mass is small,so hope for non-malignant mass. I know the waiting is terrible,but try not to panic...and wait and wait. I most sincerely hope that it is a "fake scare" ,and you will get satisfying answer from your doctor/s.

All the best,

Suzy

• Futurecancersurvivor
    Options

It’s very hard. I pushed up my appointments. My colonoscopy and gyno appointment is this week on the 21st and 22nd. I’m so scared!!!

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    edited April 2022 #4
    Options

It was a great idea to postpone your appointments; you are scared now,but soon you'll get at least some answers, and you will have a chance to work with your doctors either on treatment,or you get a peace of mind that there is no danger of cancer recurrence. I sincerely hope that the second one will be the case.

Please let us know! Wishing you the best results,

Suzy

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

It is totally natural and healthy to be scared. I am eight years NED, and I still get scared - it never ever goes away.

I have cysts in my liver, that caused great concern, but turned out to be benign. Scared me to death, the first two or three times they showed up on the scans; but they haven't changed in size, so all is well.

Try to keep yourself occupied, to keep those fears at bay. Of course, that doesn't work at night, which has always been my most worrisome time. I ended up getting a guided imagery CD, to keep my mind occupied while getting to sleep, and now I just play music.

Take many, many deep cleansing breaths, and soon, you will be the other side of this, knowing all is well, or.... the other.

Tru

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Hi and welcome, I'd second everything Tru said, and add my own specifics. I was a 3b with 2 of 17 nodes involved. Surgery and the standard Folfox chemo didn't stop it from being in my liver 2+ years later, or again 3 years after that. The thing is, I'm NED for 7 1/2 years now, they did get it all eventually, they can get yours too. If you want more specifics, click on any blog name for their story, and do try to relax some, you're in a marathon now, fear, hope, disappointment, and elation will all come to you in turns on this path, so coping with and controlling these emotional swings is going to be something you'll want to study and work at. Good luck to you.......................................Dave

• StonedCamaro
    StonedCamaro Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I'm still going through my 1st treatment for Stage 2. I get scared often too, thinking it won't work.

But then I have to remember how I'm feeling. Listen to your body. More than the fear, is your body, dreams, or soul felt a reoccurrence? If not, then please don't let the science/tests set your outcome! Mind over matter...you got this:0)

Prayers for a wonderful outcome!

• Futurecancersurvivor
    Options

Thank you so much for the comment! It’s hard when fear overtakes your mind.

My colonoscopy was clear and the cysts are just your everyday run of the mill cysts. They are due to the heavy periods I’ve been having. Of course they’ll biopsy it but the doctor says I’ll be ok. Thank God!

i wish you all swift healing of the mind, body and spirit! God bless!