Seeking information on Colorectal cancer and CDiff infection regarding surgery

Options
Endurance70
Endurance70 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My husband's pathology report just confirmed colon cancer. He was also battling CDiff infection, lab test recently came back, he is negative for CDiff after treating. My husband has consult with surgeon to discuss surgery and treatment. I am needing guidance in this area.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Welcome to the forum

I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. It is a shock, and you have entered into a whole new stage of life, one that cannot be prepared for.

Time to do some study online, but be careful, as many web pages have information that is years out of date. Reaching out here, is also very good. People can help you with advice and guidance.

One thing I always suggest is a good old notebook. Write down EVERYTHING. Everything your husband feels, mental, physical, emotional. Write down questions. Any and all questions that you feel you need answers to, as you go forward. And, then, when you are in with the Oncologist, write down - or tape, with permission, what they say. So much information is unloaded when you are first diagnosed. Information overload.

Look forward, but not too far, and not back. No regrets. If you feel like you did something or didn't do something, let it go, it is in the past.

I am a surviving Stage IV Colorectal patient eight years next week.

It will be a long journey, and not easy, but move forward with positivity and hope.

I do hope others share their advice. the forum is so slow, it hurts. They changed the format last year, and we lost allot of long-tern survivors, who had much to offer.

Stick with us and we will stick with you.

Tru

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

First, I suggest 2-3 consults with oncologists and surgeons and compare. Options may vary and you need to know to find the very best one.

Research research research based on path report findings.

Get expanded bloodwork before any treatment as your base guideline. Keep an excel spreadsheet to monitor trends on panels/markers so you can jump on things before it gets out of control. Suprises are no fun and very deflating, hard to correct when you don't catch them early.

• Endurance70
    Options

Thank you so much for your information and support. I have started keeping a journal. I'm a good note taker, I didn't know you could record conversations with the doctor. That's very good advice. Tomorrow is the big day, meeting with the surgeon.

I will definitely have more questions for you.

Thank you so much

• Endurance70
    Options

Thank you for the information. I do have a question regarding that. When you say expaned blood work..what type? What does that entail?

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

If you want to record your visit, be sure and get permission from your Doctor. In some states, it is illegal to tape conversations without permission.