the emotions

Options
curlygirl8
curlygirl8 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello. I am new here.

I was diagnosed with IDC in March of 2021 and had a double mastectomy in July of that year.

The road has been long and difficult, with surgeries, a failed expander, expander removal, an infection, and long-term antibiotics.

I find myself getting more and more hopeless with each complication.

I'm trying to make an appt. with a mental health counselor but none of them are calling me back.

What I would like to know is, do you have any coping skills you use to help you through difficult times and while waiting for test results?

Sometimes I am so overwhelmed! I do exercise daily and have a good diet because those are two of the things I can control.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• raybsmith
    raybsmith Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Hi Curlygirl,

What has helped me was prayer, and trying to focus on the positives...it is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I just started taking horrific Arimidex for the next 5 years at least, and every night before I swallow that pill, I try to remember to be thankful that there is such a treatment now. Try to find some peace in family, hobbies, and activities. Don't be too hard on yourself and take it one day at a time. Trust me its a lot easier said than done, but I have to work on it every day. I hope that helps!

• curlygirl8
    curlygirl8 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thank you so much. Those are great tips, and I've also started seeing a counselor. It is quite the emotional roller coaster. What's working for me is eating right and exercising every day -- things I have some control over. And gardening is my favorite form of therapy. Getting my hands in the dirt really helps distract me from my worries. Still, sometimes it's hard to shut off the worrying.

Thanks again, and I hope you are doing well!

Michelle