Bowel obstruction

Options
janh_in_ontario
janh_in_ontario Member Posts: 151 Member
edited May 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

How do you know you have an obstructed bowel? I have been having some abdominal pain and constipation and wondered if it could be?

when i was diagnosed it was “near obstructing” and I was told it was a concern but never given a “what to watch for” list.

thanks

Comments

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    Options

My dad had an obstruction. If you have one the pain is constant and severe. Even with 800mg ibuprofen the pain was still severe. You wont have anything coming out, no stool (or it is getting less because some is after the obstruction, or only fluids are passing) and farting might also be difficult (air cant pass either). At some point your abdomen would distent.

The best thing that you will talk to a doctor about it. After my dad had the surgery, the GP auscultated him regularly because every time he had pain in the abdomen, he and we were worried. So simply have a visit with your GP, but if you are in severe pain, the hospiral is the better way

• Teresa0287
    Teresa0287 Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

If you are having abdominal pain you should get checked out at an urgent care or hospital, there are assessments they can do by placing pressure on your abdomen and they will decide if they think you need imaging. Better safe than sorry in this instance ❤️

• npatel22526
    npatel22526 Member Posts: 42 Member
    Options

My dad had close to obstruction and that's we found out about his cancer.

His symptoms were mainly feeling of not emptying his bowl. Besides the abdominal pain, If you can not pass gas that's a warning sign.

What are the next steps, after his diagnosis he was scheduled for Surgery in two weeks. According to surgeon he would do it sooner but insurance, heart & primary care clearance , scan would easily takes 2 weeks.

• TheLadySkye
    TheLadySkye Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options

My cancer was found via obstruction. I continued to pass stool the whole time and was not overly gassy. My symptoms were a feeling of fullness after eating much of anything. My tummy felt bloated and distended. I regularly had persistent upper abdominal pain. My doctors blew it off as stress for months. I changed doctors and it saved my life. If you feel like something is wrong, insist or find a medical team that will.

• Wadsdan777
    Wadsdan777 Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

keep in mind theres partial obstructions, versus full blown total obstructions so that could account for different people's experiences.

always good as mentioned to keep your medical team informed of smyptoms and make sure they get checked out if they are bothering you continually

• Deni1925
    Deni1925 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I had Richter hernias from the open sigmoid resection surgery 2020

Mother's Day 2022...severe, sharp pain middle abdomen, then vomiting, constipated, no gas, no urine, then blood in vomitus. Raced to my hospital 1:30am and had surgery by 11am.