My One Year+ Adventure, So Far

Options
madeit78
madeit78 Member Posts: 8 Member
edited May 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Nov 2020 diagnosed with colorectal stage 2. 1st step was radiation and then a month of chemo. This was to check to see if the mass might shrink. No change in 8 cm mass. On to surgery they call "abdominal pernial resection with external ostomy". 1st report no sign of "C'' in lmypth Glands. Dr suggested another round of Chemo to help ensure that the big "C" wouldn't come back. Finished that a couple of months ago with an appt with the oncologist to give me the results of the Pet scan scheduled for the week after next. Naturaly hoping for the best report. I am still in the healing process from the surgery as the wound where the removed the "part" has to heal from the inside out. The second Chemo slowed the healing process so the daily "packing" goes on a year later. We are looking for another month or two and that part should be over and I can get out and do things. With the daily visit, 7 days a week from the health care nurse to do the "wound care". I can't do anything away from the house for more than a day. Can you say cabin fever?

I have been able to keep a real good atitues thru this as it is better than the symtoms of a non functional sphinter muscle, prior to diagnosis. Have a good day or evening. Looking forward to making contact with some of you!

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

My goodness! A year out from surgery and still packing a wound. That is horrendous! Why did they start you on the chemo so soon after surgery? It is normal for them to wait at least six weeks.

I had to pack a wound, once, and it was no fun at all. I remember the first few times, sitting there, looking at this gaping hole in my belly, and having to stick shoe laces - well, thats what they looked like, into it. I am sure after a year, you get used to doing it, but still. That really is awful, and I feel for you.

Good luck with the upcoming PET scan. I hope you hear the words NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE - ie. NED. Music to the ears.

Keep us updater.

Tru

• madeit78
    Options

Thanks and will do!

• StonedCamaro
    StonedCamaro Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Stage 2 also. 3 months into chemotherapy. Fixing to start radiation. I've been trying to get out and away, while I can. But it takes way more planning than it use to.

Have you daydreamed a getaway for when your done and healed enough?

Prayers for your continued health and healing!

• madeit78
    edited April 2022 #5
    Options

Absolutely planning a trip of some kind as soon as I get out of this home "jail". Counting the pandemic and the heme health dailly it has been nearlly 2 years of being home bound. Best of luck on your recovery too. I guess I don't like my own company that much! LOL

• madeit78
    edited April 2022 #6
    Options

Positive Oncology appt today. Doc says bloodwork is Primo and results of Pet SCan were great. I go back in one month for a final blood test and if OK as expected it shoube time to get the port out. Looking Good for sure. I do believe he even used the term NED after my prompting.:-)

• StonedCamaro
    StonedCamaro Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Congratulations 🎉 that's awesome news! One day closer to your freedom!!!

• ForMyGirls2
    ForMyGirls2 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I’m 6 months out from APR. healed up pretty well. Did radiation and chemo first. Just did 6 month scans and so far NED. I also had wound packing a few weeks after surgery. That bottom incision can be very hard to heal especially after radiation. It does get better. Life is pretty much back to normal now. You’ll get there. Just take one day at a time. God bless.