Three weeks since scans - no more tumor!

Options
DATyree
DATyree Member Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

In July of 2021, I was diagnosed with Stage II colorectal cancer. I was 48. Prior to my diagnosis, I was exercising daily and eating a very “clean” diet (no grains which was bad!). The doctors were talking about surgery which was either reconstructive or a bag. I was terrified! The oncologist said they would have a better picture after I went through 16 weeks of chemotherapy and then after a short break, five weeks of daily radiation. It was a long run. The radiation side effects were rough! On March 2, 2022, scans revealed “no evidence of the tumor or scarring.” I am both relieved and many days, I have mixed emotions between fear and guilt. This journey changed me in so many ways yet some days I revert to “pre-cancer” me which is not good. If you have this, you can get through it! Exercise daily - don’t give the tumor any quarter. I fasted 24 hours before chemo and did what I could not to feed the tumor (no sugar, no booze - nothing.). That is not a cure - just a mindset. My heart goes out to anyone with cancer. Don’t give into the fear! Fight it as hard as you can, no matter what! All my love to the brave and mighty who fight the good fight!

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

16 weeks of Chemo for stage II is pretty darn tough; and radiation on top of that, phew. No wonder you scanned NED (No Evidence of Disease). Sounds like you've been to Hell and back.

Run with NED and I pray you will never see the face of Cancer again.

Thank you for your diet tips. I never could give up the sugar, though some sugars are good for the body - which is echolocate for me.

Tru

• DATyree
    DATyree Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Amen! Thank you! Abs yes, cheers to dark chocolate and red wine now (studies show red wine can reduce the chances of reoccurrence by 15%. I believe it is one glass a day but the bottle is made of glass and after the past year, I think I have earned it! Anyone going through the radiation part might consider the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast - some roasted chicken for protein). That helped a ton as did the liquid Imodium. Hardest couple of weeks to navigate. Running with NED!

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

"The bottle is made of glass. . ." I like it! There is lots of interesting information about red wine consumption.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Datyree, congratulations on your great results!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Supposedly, the price of wine is going up BECAUSE of the glass bottle. Always a good excuse to raise prices.