Switch from Folfox to Folfiri

Options
Tm16
Tm16 Member Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

My mother just had her pre-op consult for the HAI pump placement, primary tumor and lymph node resection. They found that the lesions in the liver had also grown in size and number just since she paused treatment to prepare for the surgery(1 month). Now HAI is off the table as is the rest of the surgery. Another 6 months of chemo with Folfiri instead of Folfox. The first scan showed shrinking of the lesions with folfox but it stopped working after the first three months. It seems like the efficacy of both drugs is the same. So should we even expect to see any improvement with this drug?

We were banking on HAI to be our miracle. We are devastated by this. Any similar experience ? Thank you all.

Comments

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    Options

When docs discovered my first met in the liver, they removed it by RFA and put me on neoadjuvant FOLFOX. They couldn't be 100% sure but they felt like it worked for at least 8 months until a recurrence. After another surgery, they tried FOLFIRI plus AVASTIN. I had a similar experience, some minor shrinkage then a period of no growth for about 6 months. I had the option of starting with FOLFIRI if I'd wanted, so it seems doctors generally share your opinion that the efficacy is similar. I don't think they really know TBH.

I don't know what you can expect, but ask for genetic testing of your tumor to see if they can locate mutations. I've read that those with a high tumor burden -- even those with solid tumors -- may benefit from some immunotherapies.

There are people who are not high on the HAI pump. Maybe someone will chime in who has had experience.