Test for uterine and ovarian cancers

Options
FleurLys
FleurLys Member Posts: 1 Member

Hello ladies,

I have been an occasional reader of this board. When my mother was going through her treatments for UPSC I found it really helpful to read about other women's thoughts and experiences and I am always cheering you on from the sidelines with gratitude.

The reason that I'm finally posting is that I wanted to share that my mother's wonderful oncologist (Dr. Lucy Gilbert) has developed a test, similar to a PAP test, for detecting ovarian and uterine cancers in their early stages. In a recent trial involving just over 1000 healthy women, 6 women were diagnosed with Stage 1 cancers. Dr Gilbert and her team are really optimistic that this test will become generally available and will make a huge difference to early detection. There is another (the third and final prior to Health Canada approval) clinical trial starting, and my mother just called to tell me that she has put my name down on the list to participate in the trial "and there's no getting out of it!". She is almost 5 years post-diagnosis by the way, and doing very well.

The project is called DoVEE Detecting Ovarian and Endometrial Cancer Early.

Comments

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I have a bespoke personalized circulating tumor blood test, based on my tumor, created by Natera. I love to hear of new screening! Thanks!

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I just read through the project' website. What a wonderful tool this would be, especially for women with ovarian cancer since those first cancer signs often aren't as obvious as the more common vaginal bleeding that many women with uterine cancer have. Thanks for sharing this information and the excellent news that your mother is closing in on 5 years post diagnosis.

• Frances081920
    Frances081920 Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options

SpringerSpnielMom did your Dr. order the test by Natera? How did you get it and is it available to other patients?

The DoVee also sounds very interesting. Like everyone else, I am constantly looking for more ways to catch a recurrence early.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Yes. It's available to anyone. Foundation genomically profiles tumors too (to find your tumor's mutations); not sure if they create blood tests yet. I had to be persistent, and willing to pay for it out of pocket if needed. (It was free for me because my go found a program.) At least this test can be made, and tumor genomic testing can be performed, on "fixed" aka "preserved" tissue from your initial big surgery, so you have a little time. Functional profiling, where they test different chemos on your tumor, has to be done on fresh tissue, so you get one shot initially. I asked for that, too, but my go "couldn't find a kit at the hospital"...If I have a recurrence w/ enough tissue to test, I'll insist on functional profiling.