Will begin Taxol treatments this Friday

Options
Chrisburn
Chrisburn Member Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

I have had 4 rounds of chemotherapy where I have lost my taste buds. I will begin 4 rounds of Taxol treatment this Friday. I can only drink water, ensure, and tea. Everything else taste like metal. So, I was happy to hear that those on Taxol were able to eat again. I am so so hungry and have lost 25 pounds so far. I'll be so happy when all of my treatments and radiation is over. I have heard that radiation is a brief so, I look forward to that.

My mouth is extremely dry, and I have burn marks on my tongue.

Comments

• Sunny5
    Sunny5 Member Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Hang in there! I lost a lot of weight too, but you will be able to eat normally again. Drink lots and lots of water and ask for some Magic Mouthwash for your mouth. I couldn't drink milk, or eat any kind of dairy products. I can now eat ice cream and cheese. I never had the metal taste, but food just tastes kind of bland and "off." I had four rounds of Doxorubicin and 3 rounds of Taxol. Had my last treatment this past Tuesday. I will have what's left of my tumor taken out soon and then radiation. I found some plant based nutrient shakes on Amazon. It's called Evolve. They are pretty good if you can't drink the ones with milk. Wishing you all the best!

• Chrisburn
    Chrisburn Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello Sunny5,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I did receive the Magic Mouthwash which helped a lot. I am trying to drink more water although there is an after taste. I just had my 2nd treatment of Taxol where my taste buds are slowly coming back. I was able to eat a little dinner last night which surprised me. So, I hope that I am on the mend in more ways than one.

Thanks again.

• Sunny5
    Options

I'm so happy to hear that! This will be over before you know it! Best wishes!

• Sunny5
    Options

Chrisburn be sure and ask them about some frozen gloves to wear during your Taxol treatment. I just found out about them on this board. It will constrict your blood vessels during treatment and keep the Taxol from reaching your nerves and causing neuropathy. My doctors never told me about it and now it is too late. I have neuropathy in both hands, and it is pretty bad in my thumbs. He kept saying it could be permanent. But never offered me a solution. I wish I'd known about this beforehand. Good luck to you.