Stage 2 colon cancer and now concerning spot on my lung

Options
cluecastle
cluecastle Member Posts: 9 Member
edited May 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I had lost this support group link so I hadn’t posted for a bit. I saw the cancer dr and she will be scheduling a new colonoscopy since the large tumor was removed and they can now see if there is further cancer. She said so far she considers it stage 2. We talked about radiation or chemo. She said at this point there is a 3% difference in survival rate of those who have the treatments and those that don’t versus the toxicity issues. So my choice at this point is to not have it. She also said the cat scan i previously had shows a concerning spot on my lung so i need to get a further cat scan so she can see more of what is going on. I was really shaky about the colon cancer diagnosis and now with this lung diagnosis i feel like I’m numb and really am unsure of a surgery of the lung. I also feel like the breast exam coming up is sure to find cancer since i seem to be having multiple issues. So i am also fighting more depression and anxiety than usual. I am considering asking my therapist for stronger depression meds but I don’t know if that’s possible or the right thing to do at this point. Really need some opinions please.

Comments

• janh_in_ontario
    janh_in_ontario Member Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Ask for a PET scan - it is the most reliable scan.

i had a concerning spot on my lung - it was gone a month later - the lung has lots of “false” stuff - don’t worry too much.

• cluecastle
    Options

Thank you. I will definitely ask for that. Hope you are doing well.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited April 2022 #4
    Options

Modified post: Once you have been diagnosed with cancer it is pretty common to be constantly concerned about it recurring. I have never heard of a good solution to that syndrome, except to maybe be aware of it . . . For some, meditating and trying to live in the present is an aide. Best of luck with these issues and your upcoming medical exams.

• cluecastle
    Options

Thank you. I do realize many have a deeper diagnostic level. Apologies if i have caused distress or seemed self important. Blessings to all.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Your diagnosis is just as important as ours. It doesn't matter one single bit if it is 'less' or 'more'. Cancer is Cancer, and it is devastating.

I am sure I can speak for every one on this forum, when I say, you have not caused any distress, and you have DEFINITELY not appeared at all 'self important.

Ask any and all questions that you need. to, we are ALL here for you.

Tru

• Gwenog
    Gwenog Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hi Cluecastle

I had stage 3 colorectal cancer through 2020. After 2 eight week rounds of chemo (oral and infusion), 8 weeks of radiation and 2 surgeries I was so happy to be told they got it all. Then this last February I went in for my routine Ct scan and they found something on my lung. After a Petscan they told me I needed surgery to remove a spot. I had my surgery end of March and am still recovering. The cancer was small but attached in a weird way so they ended up removing one lobe of my left lung. No chemo or radiation this time because they took out so much. Recovery is slow but steady.

I understand your distress. I consider myself a strong person. I am very optimistic most of the time and I have a very good team of doctors and support staff. I’m also fortunate to have amazing family and friends who’ve rallied to get me through this. However, after getting through my colorectal cancer and then hearing I had a tumor in my lung knocked me on my ****. I spent a week crying and miserable before I was able to get up the feisty side of me and see the surgery through. I’m now scared if and when cancer will pop up next.

I encourage you to request a Petscan also. It’s the best test without surgery for your doctors to know how to proceed. I hope it’s nothing and you remain cancer free. Best of luck to you.

• tphan52
    tphan52 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

• tphan52
    tphan52 Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Hi,

I’m new here. My husband is 50 years old and he just had his colonoscopy on 05/04/22. 2 weeks ago he had abdominal pain, vomit, and spike fever…lead to ER and CT scan. They found a big tumor near the rectum and sigmoid. It’s 95% blockage, so they couldn’t scan any further. Chest CT is clear but they found 2 spots on his liver. So, it’s stage 4…still waiting for biopsy results. He just did MRI and he will do PET scan on the 17th then oncologist and colorectal consult. We have Kaiser insurance. The staff are very nice but I wish they would move things faster. My husband and I are in shocked and devastated. It happened so quick and so unexpected. We have 3 small kids, and our hearts break for them.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited May 2022 #11
    Options

tphan52: Sorry about the hard news. Things will likely progress quickly and can be quickly overwhelming. It may not be much consolation, but sometimes it helps to take only one day at a time and to focus on the present. Also, for many, preliminary diagnoses do not hold. Sometimes spots on the liver are just spots.

Slow progress in the medical system can be a real concern. Sometimes there are things you can do to speed things up. Talk to the people who schedule and let them know you can fill-in for cancellations. Talk with the doctors about using their influence to move things up. You will likely find that you have to be your own advocates and sometimes that advocacy yields positive results.

Good luck with these challenges.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Ditto to what SandiaBuddy said, on all counts.

I am Stage IV and several years past my prognosis, which was five years. Please know that Stage IV is not an automatic death sentence. Maybe many years ago, but not any more.

Follow Sandia's advice about working with your husband's medical team, to move things forward. I also had a complete blockage; and my surgery was scheduled for two weeks out. TWO WEEKS! I thought for sure I was going to die during that time.

You will be overwhelmed by so many emotions. They are all normal, we have all experienced them.

Advice. Go to every appointment with a note book loaded with questions and make sure you get them all answered to your satisfaction - you may already be doing this, but I thought it was worth a mention.

If you would like to start your own thread, here on the forum, so that we don't fill up the original posters thread, here is the link https://csn.cancer.org/forum/128 - just hit the NEW TOPIC button, and type away.

Please, do not hesitate to ask any and all questions here. We're a great bunch, though sometimes the forum runs a little slow.

Tru