Just found out yesterday

Options
2»

Comments

• Caledonia
    Caledonia Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Quick update: thank you all for your help and encouragement. I’m feeling a little better today and am taking it easy as advised. I do feel tired but am taking naps and that helps. The one thing that was a surprise was that my shoulders really hurt. Apparently that is an effect from the gas they pump you up with? I have been walking around the house to get bowels moving and that seemed to work. I’ve been doing breathing exercises with the spirometer and have been wearing the air compressor boots at night. I’m just going to take everything slow and easy until my post op appt next Friday.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I did not have that but I've heard it many times on these cancer sites. When I do have back or shoulder pain from gas, I try to burp as much as possible. Maybe some ginger ale would help?

• Caledonia
    Options

Well it has been 3 weeks since surgery. I’m feeling pretty good - incisions have healed up and I am doing better. I have an appt with chemo dr this Thursday to talk next steps - although my surgeon said I will need chemo - 6 treatments 21 days apart. She also said they will probably put in a port to facilitate the chemo. What is that like?

Of course the thought of losing hair has caused me concern - and I’ve been looking at wig web sites. My sister is going to take me to some wig stores to check it out - so that might be fun!

Oh and I signed up for a Cancer Fit exercise class at the local recreation center. It is for folks going thru cancer treatment. I’m looking forward to that!

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I found the whole port insertion process much easier than I had anticipated (although I didn't really know what to expect). It felt odd to have it in my body at first, but I really appreciated having it during treatments.

My hair was already thinning before cancer, so I was already used to wearing wigs for work and most social events. But my nieces sent me a couple of head caps that I ended up wearing most of the time until I started working and seeing clients again after treatment.

I did take exercise classes for cancer patients and survivors offered by my health system, until my second phase chemo left me too fatigued to do the classes. But since I've always liked the structure of classes for exercise, I was happy to have the option of taking classes designed for cancer patients.

Glad to hear that you're recovering well after surgery. Step one is done!

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Echoing all the previous comments and well-wishes and sending wishes for an easy recovery.

• Maxster
    Maxster Member Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I thought I would chime in. At age 71 I was diagnosed with Stage 3C uterine serous cancer. I am two years post treatment and NED. I don't know your stage but I am optimistic for you. I had 6 chemo infusions (Paxil/taxol) and 25 EBRT. Altho three brachytherapy is the usual regime, my rad one had concerns about one lymph node. I have heard that some centers based on research on reserving radiation for those cases where there is myometrial invasion. Mine was 90%. I hope you heal quickly from the surgery. The exercise will get you there. Even tho chemo can knock you out, I went to the gym on the days I felt good, did Silver Sneakers, elipitical and swim aerobics until Covid closed everything. Then I did exercise videos. There is a great Facebook group for Uterine Papillary Serous patients that I have found very helpful. My best wishes to you.

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Hi, Caledonia,

I found the port placement pain free, no fear! It is sure great having one for chemo and scans. I am a hard stick.

Your chemo nurses will be there for you! Encouragement & Compassion, warm blankets, drinks and snacks. I was blessed with very few side effects from chemo except fatigue. I did have the onboard Neulasta shot (to keep blood counts up) after each chemo and took Claritin for bone pain for about 4-5 days following the shot. This was an automatic, timed home injected shot applied after each chemo.

I ate well but also ate what I craved like fudge pops! 😊

I continied my short daily walks thru all 6 chemo treatments. Cancer Fit sounds like a great program! Exercise is great body and mind therapy but respect your body and rest when needed.

It was hard to lose my hair. I wore scarves and hats. I found some nice things at an online site called tlc. These protect you from the sun, too. I got rather warm in a wig. I found some inventive scarf tying lessons online and used two, sometime three to get volume. I wore them under hats as well. Tlc had a nifty little hairpiece called a 'halo'that peeks out around hats. You and your Sis enjoy the shopping.

((Hugs))

• Caledonia
    Options

Well today was my first chemo. Not as bad as I had imagined. It did take a long time - about 5 hours. But I was prepared for that and brought books and my own snacks too.

I was curious about the Claritin and bone pain. Does it really help - isn’t it a allergy med? I don’t have any pain now - but maybe I should get some in case.

they did not do a port - I had an IV in my hand and it was not bad. I have to go back Thursday Friday Monday and Tuesday for the shot to boost white cells. And Saturday is my wig appt. Busy next couple of days!

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Options

What I was told is the antihistamines can help with the bone pain because the medication stimulates the bone marrow to produce blood cells, and a byproduct of this process is histamines. Not everyone gets bone pain. I did. I had the Neulasta OnPro injector. Claritin did not help me, but I was allowed to substitute Benadryl and that did help. You would take the antihistamine starting a day or so (advice varies) before the injection and for a few days. Since you're having your shots in four doses, that may be different.

• cjmillus
    cjmillus Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Did you have the neulasta shot after chemo? Did you end up having brachytherapy?

• Caledonia
    Options

Thank you! I am not having any pain now so I think I will wait and see before taking it. I think I will ask the nurse if I could take Allertec or Benadryl since I already have that on hand.

Thanks for answering me - I really appreciate it.

• Caledonia
    Options

Hi cjmillus - thanks for your input. My stage was/is T1A. It had not entered the myometrium and all lymph nodes were clear. I think the very hardest part is the mental part of realizing what this all means. I have not been sleeping too well but I’m more optimistic that I can get thru this after I had my first chemo. I think the unknown can cause stress. But since I had the chemo I know it is “doable” thank you so much and I will try the Facebook too!