Has anyone gotten Evusheld?

Options
Evarista
Evarista Member Posts: 336 Member

This is the COVID-preventative monoclonal antibody cocktail that's been out for a few months. For a while it seemed like people couldn't get or find it if they wanted it but this week NYTimes had a post about doses going unused and perhaps not enough people being aware of it.

So are people in this community aware and has anyone, especially those on Rituxan maintenance, gotten it? Hope everyone is doing well.

Comments

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    Options

I wonder how necessary this is at this time ? Since the invasion of Ukraine, the media has decided that COVID is mostly a non-thing.....

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Hi Evarista

Good to hear from you! I have asked around and I can find no one who has taken those monoclonal antibodies to prevent COVID. Hope you are well.

• Evarista
    Options

Not sure what one has to do with the other. I continue to see news articles almost daily about vaccine failure in the immunocompromised, along with very clear data trends toward a resurgence of cases.

• Evarista
    Options

Hi Shady, good to e-see you too! I have one friend who is on Rituxan maintenance and completely anti-Spike negative after 3 shots. He got Evusheld last month and was absolutely thrilled to finally have some degree of protection. Since I made some response to vaccine, I remain unsure as to whether it's appropriate for me. Will discuss at my next appointment later this year. Hope all continues to be well.

• ShadyGuy
    Options

As per our discussion 1 yr+ ago I too am unsure if I am protected. The one antibody test I have had showed 8 on spike and 0 on the other ( can’t remember what its called). so far I have apparently avoided covid and must admit I am rather careless now. My close friends in England say it is raging there and they were quite ill for a few days but now are ok. Several family and friends have had it but none with serious effects. The grandkids tested positive but were entirely asymptomatic. My adult son was under the weather for 2-3 days but said he has had colds that were worse. But none of them were immunocompromised.

My attention has recently turned to other health issues unrelated to lymphoma. I have spent 10 days in hospital. However I am recovering quickly and plan to head to the mountain for the summer very soon. Life is what you make it - nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers and best wishes!

• ShadyGuy
    Options

my son and his family are all fully vaccinated but still caught covid.

edited April 2022 #8
    Options

A 'resurgence of cases' is irrelevant, if it is harmless or statistically virtually harmless to an overwhelming majority of a population. The article below is from a metastudy recently published by The Mayo Clinic, proving that among persons with immunity from previous infection, or persons who have had the vaccine, hospitalization, or even the appearance of serious symptoms short of hospitalization, occurs in fewer than one-in-one-thousand patients. I regard myself as 'immunocompromised' as virtually anyone, and despite never 'social distancing' and not getting the vaccine for the first two years, never had a trace of anything. I have since got the vaccine and booster, and regard COVID as about 100th in importance among harms that might come my way, well behind auto crashes, food poisoning, and falling into an earth quake crater.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/breakthrough-hospitalizations-extremely-uncommon-after-covid-19-immunity-mayo-study-finds/

• ShadyGuy
    Options

Hi Max. Its hard to argue with your logic. However remember that we are discussing that 1% vulnerable section of the population. Also not hospitalized does not mean that the patient was not terribly ill. Some people, like me for example, avoid hospitals except as a last resort. Like you I am not overly concerned about COVID but still I can understand why some, especially those undergoing treatments, are concerned. A close relative of mine has esophageal cancer. He has been treated for over a year and had 12 courses of chemo on 2 week intervals and 8 courses of a biologic. Up till 2 weeks ago when his esophagus closed preventing food and drink he lived an active life. He has never worn a mask except where required for entry and refused the vaccines (0 vaccinations) while eating out several times a week and having an active social life. No sign of covid. Still that is anecdotal. I think for those concerned about covid precautions are logical and important. For others like you and I not so much. Have a great day my friend. I always enjoy your posts.

edited April 2022 #10
    Options

I made one (at least) typo in my earlier text: the vaccinated and those who have had the virus are hospitalized, according to the Mayo Clinic article, at a rate of 1 in 10,000, not 1 in 1,000. I recall the 'glory days' of COVID early-on, when a FEMA field hospital set up in Washington State for the tsunami of pending hospitalizations was shut down, after never seeing one (1) patient. And when the Mercy Ship departed its docking in New York City, a place of 12 million people, after seeing 77 patients. I feel like the former lead singer of Fleetwood Mac, Dave Mason, in his hit entitled 'We Just Disagree.' Some see the Biblical Plagues; I see a pesty flu on the wane....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ff8qXa248

• ShadyGuy
    Options

And I also remember the warehouses full of respirators, only a small percentsge of which were ever used. We gave over 30,000 of them to other countries (India etc) but stilll have warehouses full of them. Still lives were saved so its worth it.

edited April 2022 #13
    Options

Shadster,

No demand for the drug does not surprise me. As I said before, COVID has 'ceased to be a thing' where I live, which is SC. And where my relatives live: Throughout Florida, Texas, and Kansas. We have all returned to normal, sane lives, which means that existence for everyone is a luck of the draw, with accidents, sickness, and misfortune being the bane and nature of existence from all of human history, and into all of humanity's future.

When I say 'ceased to be a thing,' I mean it is no longer the hysterical go-to for the media; they have moved on to Ukraine and various other political re-hash subjects. Yes, COVID virus still exists, and yes, it will increase a little by the Fall: and that will be a 'surge,' the most undefined term ever. And yes, very few will get SERIOUSLY ill, and many fewer than that will die.

• ShadyGuy
    Options

What you say is mostly true. But many diseases do not affect an “overwhelming majority” of the population. For example less than 2% of the population will ever have lymphoma and fewer than 25% of those who get it will die as a result of having lymphoma. 20,000 deaths per year out of a population of 340,000,000. Still we consider it significant take precautions and give treatments. I for one am glad we do. I do not want Evusheld but understand why some others may. Have a great weekend my friend. Weather is great where I am. Hope its the same in SC.

• Evarista
    Options

I was hoping...

For more in the way of Yes/No answers, but thank you for the feedback. I see that yesterday the Canadian equivalent of the FDA (Health Canada) approved it as well. Hopefully that will result in more data/feedback. Stay well, all.

• tgyphilly
    tgyphilly Member Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I have not but plan to talk to my doctor about it soon. The vaccine finally produced antibodies for me after four shots, including mixing in different vax types, but I have doubts about durability, and otherwise don't see how another layer of protection via Evusheld is anything but a good thing.

After taking in a lot of different cancer medications, adjunct therapies, and so, so many blasts of radiation from CT scans, I'm not one for conspiracy theories when it comes to Covid vaccines and prophylactics... bring them on, I don't want to die from Covid if all it means is a shot in the arm. If there was a car accident vaccine I would get that too.