Mammogram

Options
holli413
holli413 Member Posts: 1 *
edited May 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

Does anyone Know if there is a standard of practice for mammograms after having cancer when you have dense breast.

Comments

• CancerFreeSunny
    CancerFreeSunny Member Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I have dense breasts. It just means they show as white but so does cancer. I am not sure how they mammo my mastectomy breast because there is no tissue to mammogram. I will have an implant but still no tissue. Not sure how they works. I honestly don't know but when I heal, I will experience some sort of mammo.

• Reyno005
    Reyno005 Member Posts: 3 *
    Options

I had a double mastectomy & will never have a mamogram again - for anything that’s been completely removed there is nothing to mamo. I had dense breasts & had multiple doctors tell me these lumps were normal. When I noticed one lump getting bigger & pulling my nipple in I demanded a mamogram but was discouraged because I was 32 at the time. Normally they will do physical exams on reconstructed breasts - there are no scans but they will likely mammogram your natural breast

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

The government decided that a survivor of breast cancer after 5 years dosent need a diagnostic mammogram, that is beyond callous, because breast cancer is not ruled by the 5 year survival, can be back after years

I am a long term survivor of 2 types of breast cancer found at the same time, chemo, mastectomy were my treatments.

30 years from diagnosis and during this time I had several biopsies, removal of microcalcifications found with a diagnostic mammogram.

I request yearly my doctor to request a diagnostic mammogram, the only time I did not 4 years ago the routine mamogram showed anormality and had to be back for a diagnostic mammogram, a lump was found, removed and was benign.

Be assertive, your own advocate ,and get the most advanced mamograns that exist.

There are now a mamogram that targets dense breasts, just ask at the facility why type of mamogram they offer.

Check the place you get one.

I get also an ultrasound yearly,have my medical team well trained to look after #1 ,Me.

• MBGILLIAM
    MBGILLIAM Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Just keep in mind that even with a mastectomy, there is breast tissue that is left behind. They don't get it all. So insist on some kind of regular screening and consider you're follow-on treatment options. I would also suggest getting bloodwork once a year to look at tumor markers. I had stage 0 breast cancer at 39. I had a double mastectomy because a lumpectomy didn't get clean margins but I did have clean lymph nodes the whole time. I didn't get any radiation (it was not recommended) and they said they don't do the tumor marker blood work because of false positives. 14 years later I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Looking back, I wish I had received radiation treatment after the surgery to ensure that they got all the cells and I would have insisted on annual blood work. It can't be both ways -- blood work is a tracking tool they use for me now every 6 weeks. It either works or it doesn't. I think it works and I would insist upon it. It's a whole different ballgame if they catch it before it spreads. That's just my perspective in hindsight.

• CancerFreeSunny
    CancerFreeSunny Member Posts: 76 Member
    Options

You are correct! It is a smaller chance but we have to keep an eye out anyway! I think a ultrasound once a year would be good for me plus the mammo in mid year. :)

• Denise005
    Denise005 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

thank you so much for sharing detail so helpful.

• RachelP
    RachelP Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Hi there!

For a dense breast, you can request a 3D mammogram. I had a 2D and the tumor went undetected, it was found instead during a breast reduction surgery that followed.

I am four weeks off a double mastectomy and the plan for screening for me is purely clinical: If my implant is pointing the wrong direction all of the sudden, then I need an MRI to check or an ultrasound - to see why. Otherwise it is a check at the doctors office and I go on my way. Remember as other folks have mentioned, the mastectomy leaves some tissue behind - so you want to have it checked. Talk to your doctor to see if they are agreeable to something more than a clinical exam for the mastectomy side.

Hope this helps! :-) Have a great day!

R.

• dreaming
    Options

I am a long term breast cancer survivor, first at the time mamogram was not as advanced as the present.i I demanded the most agresiva treatment after the oncologist suggest there was no need of a masectomy, chemo, since during the excitional biopsy all was taken.I had a masectomy where a second diferent invasive cancer was found, had 1 year of chemo twice a month.

For years I had a diagnostic mamogram, but the new irresponsible rules are that after 5 years, that don't count in breast cancer ,are toge5 a routine mamogram.

Years ago my diagnostic mamogram found microcalcification on my chest wall, behind the mastectomy, were removed by the surgeon.

Now I have to get a yearly authorization to get the special mamogram and ultrasound.

The people that create this rules don't understand that breast cancer don't follow the 5 year.

The only time I had a routine mamogram, a lump was found, has to be back, get a diagnostic one, ultrasound, apoitment for a biopsy, that Tks God was being.

Be aggressive demanding what you believe is medical care for your needs, second opinion, change facility.

• RachelP
    RachelP Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing!!! Yes, being our own advocate is a huge difference maker! I appreciate your advice so much.

Take good care,

R.

• dreaming
    Options

Thanks. I learned the hard way and not only become an activist with NBCC and advocate,went back to university and work in the medical field.

Ask questions, don't rely on the internet ,each person is different.

Join a support group,avoid negative people.

You are #1 and you come first.