Pain

Options
maDEAschild25
maDEAschild25 Member Posts: 1 *
edited April 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello I have been diagnosed with stage 3B colorectal cancer I’m on my 5th cycle of chemo will be finished April 7 then have a 4 week break. Then will have radiation and chemo pills 5 days a a week for 6 weeks then another 4 week break then the want to remove the tumor by surgery they’re trying to get it to shrink first!. I am so overwhelmed with all this new information I can’t keep any of of it straight sometimes But my question isjve been on 4 10 milagrams of oxycodone a day for pain but I’m noticing my pain is getting better each day instead of worse this is a good sight the chemo is working wouldn’t you think I sure pray so!. I can deal with all these treatments but the idea of surgery really freaks me out I do hope some kind of miracle will come along and I wouldn’t have to do the surgery I’m 62 and just feel like it would be to much any opinions or knowledge on this? I’m so confused and any help you can give would really be appreciated thanks for letting me share Betty

Comments

• janh_in_ontario
    janh_in_ontario Member Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I am on round 5 of Folfox, hoping to shrink then surgery. Surgery is scary for me too!

i don’t have any pain but my bowel issues are 100% better so I am presuming that is because it is working!

PET scan today so will find out alot of info in next few days!

Keep up the work and try to stay away from the oxy - they ruined my brothers life.

jan

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

High dose vitamin C, R-ALA, melatonin. These might help with lessening chemo/radiation damage, neuropathy.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

I am probably not a good commentator on pain medication as I hate the way it affects me and I avoid it where possible. I would rather feel pain than the effects of the medication. But it makes sense to only take it when necessary to deal with pain issues.

Surgery is frightening. There is no way around it. But it is kind of like flying, you put your trust in the pilot and sit back and take the flight. Both myself and others on this board have found some comfort in meditation when dealing with the multitude of issues. You might try this book: You Are Here - Google Books

Good luck with all that you are dealing with.

• EnverG
    EnverG Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Im in a kind the same confusion as you, I've been thru chemo and radiation same as you I guess, and ready for surgery next 21st April, seems that is no way to avoid the surgery unless I take this decision myself, seems the surgeon is following the protocol, I am wondering if I need a second opinion about the surgery, but based on what is written a surgery is a normal procedure for the diagnosis (T3 N1 M0 rectal). One question pops up in my mind, what if I dont take the surgery, but if I take this path I don't want to feel a regret in the future for something that I could do before. For me seems that the chemo and radiation works, but based on my current "stool status" I feel I still have something there, so the path will be to trust the protocol, the surgeon, and to find peace in whatever bring me peace.

• StonedCamaro
    StonedCamaro Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Wow my treatment is almost identical to yours. I'm only 41 and feel the same is the surgery absolutely necessary. I'm not getting a 4 week break before radiation starts.

Keep us informed please on your progress! I pray all your cancer is cured and procedure are swift and you heal incredibly well!!!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

My opinion, is just that, my opinion.

At Stage III I would DEFINITELY opt for surgery.

Too many Stage II patients become Stage IV - I was one of them, though it happened after surgery.

Tru

• maDEAschild
    maDEAschild Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hello this is Betty yes I finish my 6th chemo treatment this Thursday then like I stated I get a 4 week break then will begin 52 treatments of radiation combined with chem pills Mon.-thru Friday. I am struggling with shortness of breath attacks especially when weather is cold n damp my iron count had gone down and they gave me iron in my infusion treatment in Jan. And it improved greatly but it’s trying to creep back up on me!. They give me 0.5 milagrams of Ativan twice a day as needed for anxiety But the problem is my GP said he can’t treat me for pain medication if I’m receiving or taking any anxiety medications my pain seems to be a lot better but I’m not sure this will always be the case so I don’t know what to do?. I think I’d rather be in pain than to feel so anxious and feel as though I can’t catch a good breath and breathe sometimes it wakes me from my sleep or even walking to bathroom back to bed ect. Very nerve racking and I really am struggling to what I should do? Give up pain or anxiety medicine it’s a shame I have to choose have you or anybody you know had this delimia? Do you know of anyone that’s having short of breath issues? I’ll tell you the truth this has been so surreal to me it’s like I’m watching a movie but the movie is about me!. Like I’m on the outside watching? If that makes any sense? I really feel like I don’t have a clue what’s going on I’m leaving it in the drs. But mostly the lords hands I worry that all this is in vein and I’ll just end up leaving my husband with a big loss and a lot of debt and question my worth of course he can’t stand me to think or speak like this and I’m 95% of the time a very happy upbeat positive attitude strong person but out of the blue I I’ll think about having to leave him to be all alone and that’s what really breaks my heart then I sure hate the idea of on top of not being here for him that the bill will be astronomical and all that money wasted I really got to stop thinking like this but it’s tough I’m the type when asked how I feel? My answers always the same great! LoL I know there’s a pattern to these moods they happen at the end of my cycles so I know it will pass but for a week or so I’m hell on wheels to be around I’d like to hear more on how things are going for you? Take good care of yourself and maybe we have some things in common and can help each other through our journey to good health and a bright future love, Betty Ann

• feckcancer
    feckcancer Member Posts: 189 Member
    edited April 2022 #9
    Options

Hi Betty,

Chemo and having cancer can sometimes cause breathlessness. I got quite breathless and occasionally do now especially in winter, NED 6 years later. being an ex smoker didn't help. Finding out what caused it helped me straight away because then I could try to do everything I could to make it happen as little as possible. I have added a link at the bottom of this about shortness of breath & cancer

What I find helps me is iron tablets occasionally, vitamin B, asthma inhalers, using a dehmidifer in my bedroom and keeping my house warm in winter and I take either a lung tonic or a lung health supplement. I found anti anxiety medications taken occasionally helped. Every now and then my oncologist would order me a lung x-ray .

I agree with you about having cancer feels surreal . I remember watching Meghan Markle on Oprah and she said getting married felt like she was having a out of body experience that she was present for and I thought that's exactly what its like having cancer.

In hindsight, and if it was me, I would only take the strong pain meds if I was in unbearable pain, and only take the anti anxiety meds if I had unbearable anxiety because you don't want to become addicted to them unless you have too. Ask your doctor if they think anti depressants would help your anxiety. Make sure you are able to sleep. Get some counselling.

I would ask for lots of anti anxiety meds if I had to have an operation and I would look into medical MJ if you are in a legal state. Would also take turmeric but most importantly ask your oncologist before taking anything new

Take care of yourself . Kia Kaha x

Shortness of Breath (cancer.org)

Shortness of Breath: Home Treatments and More (healthline.com)