Possible EC

Options
2»

Comments

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

That is good to know. When I was trying to get dx I asked several GO in my area for an appointment and they would not give me one without a prior cancer dx, despite my symptoms and ultrasound. I needed a referral after I had a positive path report to get an appointment. This was 4 years ago so maybe that has changed.

Denise

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Hi Denise,

I know when I was treated in 1999, I remember hearing from the nurses and other medical people with whom I came in contact that my gynecologic oncologist had performed hysterectomies on some women who did not have cancer, but who had complex gynecologic issues. At the time, I was quite surprised to hear this, as I thought you needed a prior cancer diagnosis for a gyn-onc to perform your surgery. However, here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say on the matter:

"Gynecologic oncologists offer an integrated approach to the diagnosis and surgical management of cancerous and noncancerous (benign) conditions of the female reproductive system. These include cervical cancer, endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cancer, pelvic masses, uterine cancer, vaginal cancer and vulvar cancer."

See: https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/gynecologic-oncology/overview/ovc-20424080

MoeKay

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Of course, that makes sense that they would do that. At the time I was calling around I did not have any real dx, just a tiny bit of spotting and an ultrasound, no biopsy, I was looking for GO to do my hysteroscopy. My internist referred me to a GO she knew and I was refused an appointment until I had a path report. Probably relates to not having scarce GO's doing routine care and hysterectomies that a gyne could do. I received my hysterectomy and cancer treatment at Mayo and they turn away many people whom they feel could be treated by their home docs. I asked for a mammogram at my last appointment at Mayo and they refused because they wanted me to have it done at home. So it is probably more on a case by case situation. I was very low priority.

• rnj79
    rnj79 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I am so sorry for not responding until now. I am very appreciative of your kind and loving words, but it was quite overwhelming. I needed to step back until we knew more about what was going on.

I am now 6 days post robotic-assisted hysterectomy with bilateral salpingectomy. Things are going well. The pain has gotten much, much better. The main thing I am battling now is a lack of energy, but I do have an amazing husband and teenage daughter to help me. And our two sweet doxies have been the best "nurses"!

I did receive my pathology report overnight. It did not show cancer, but it did show Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia (which my uterine biopsy in December missed!). I also see mentions of uterine fibroids, which were not seen on my TVUS in November. I guess they were underneath the lining? Is that a thing? Also, acute and chronic endocervicitis was noted. And last but not least, paratubal cysts in both fallopian tubes- which I have never heard of before. Anyone else?

Long story short... I am so glad I pushed for answers because as it turns out, this hysterectomy was absolutely necessary.