Some Good News - I Finally Graduated College!!!

Options
minicoops
minicoops Member Posts: 21 Member
edited March 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

So I FINALLY graduated college!! And hopefully one day soon I will beat cancer and can say I graduated at the same time!

I was a full time student from 2010-2014. I dropped out when I only had 28 credits left. I realized in that moment I needed to focus on my health. After a year, I decided to go to work full time. In 2019 I decided to go back to school while still working. I worked my butt off to finish those classes.

Then I’m finally working on my senior thesis in 2021. It was going well. 2 weeks shy of my graduation date, I got diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer. I had decided that the semester would end in an incomplete since I needed to start chemotherapy and focus on my health. I decided to continue working on it at my own pace in hopes of graduating this semester.

After talking with my professor, showing him my work, etc I finally have enough work to pass! So I have officially graduated with a bachelors degree in Religious Studies and a minor in art!

I am hoping that this will help me get a job after cancer. I am also hoping that my story can give others hope that anything is possible! I can’t wait for commencement and am proud of my accomplishment and not giving up!

Comments

• Christy001
    Christy001 Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Congratulations! That is marvelous! I was an English teacher at a couple of Universities and loved teaching.

Would you feel comfortable sharing the topic of your senior thesis? Not for discussion, but just as a further acknowledgment of your accomplishment?

Putting together the research and the information is one thing, synthesizing the ideas and then fingering out your understanding and what you have to add to the discussion some completely different, and then actually writing up those ideas in a way that is designed to reach and persuade a specific audience about the significance of your ideas — THAT is a very specific accomplishment!

Congratulations again, on both your senior thesis and your graduation. Your bravery and persistence are wonderful! 👏🏻

• minicoops
    minicoops Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2022 #3
    Options

Thank you! I probably failed the presentation but I had one planned but he kind of made one for me. I had the presentation like the day I had my port placement and was preparing for my first round of chemo. I was a literal mess then. He understood why and thankfully helped me out. They seemed interested, but I didn't answer the questions correctly.

Anyhow, I study religious studies so I don't know if it's appropriate to go into detail. I will just say my topic was war and peace in the Old Testament. So yeah I probably can't talk much more about it because I don't know if religion is allowed on the forum.

I chose religious studies because I originally wanted writing but it was not available as a major. It is now offered as a major. However, I realized religious studies was a lot of writing and research which I loved both. I had taken a few classes in the major and realized that I do love to help people. Religious studies is about nonprofit work too, which I have always loved.

I hope to open up a breast cancer nonprofit charity when I beat cancer! Thankfully I can utilize my major for this!